Module access control

Centos linux

Run a VPS with around 25 domains hosted, all different users and passwords. root has full access and webmin runs fine on root.

I need to allow a couple of users to run sendmail and set up their own virtusertable for their domains only.

I found I must create a “webmin user” in order to allow port 10000 access. So far so good. I try to set up a “safe user” but sendmail is not available under modules, so no use. Try again with create priveledged user. Sets up with user “Test” who has control over “test.com” using linux password. Create.

Go back to user (all as root) and go to “permissions for all modules” Set directory as users home directory / “Browse files” as “unix user” then save. Log out and log in as user “Test” and select the only option of Sendmail.

Problem is it now shows ALL sendmail options including those for all vps users and when selecting “virtusertable” shows all the table for all users.

I KNOW in the past I have set a webmin user to just use sendmail and then only with the option to adit the aliases and virtusertable option and when they did it ONLY showed the mail forwarders for their user ID

Pulling my hair out here, so any help very, very gratefully received.

ALL I need is for a domain owner/unix user to be able to edit their own virtusertables for mail redirection to save multiple calls to myself everytime one needs setting up or bouncing.

Many, many thanks in advance

John
UK

It really sounds like you should be using Virtualmin?

You can carefully configure ACLs for Webmin users, but if you’re doing shared hosting, that’s what Virtualmin is for. You’re gonna be working pretty danged hard for no reason doing it all manually.

To configure ACLs in Webmin:

Webmin->Webmin Users and Groups->Click the username->Click the module (e.g. Sendmail)->…impose whatever limits you want…

Not all modules have fine-grained ACLs. Webmin began as an administrative tool intended for root-level users to do root-level administrative tasks. It got fine-grained access control soon after, but many modules, especially third party modules, do not have that capability. Everything we use in Virtualmin has fine-grained ACLs (by necessity, since Virtualmin is for shared-hosting).

Thanks and apols for breaking the rules on last post!

I do not use virtualmin at all - All the admin is done from the command line as root and Vm/Wm were only set up for the server domain at the time of leasing the server, so very rarely use it, prefering to edit the virtusertable in text editor and then rebuilding database and then restarting sendmail - quicker!

I will look and see if I can set the user as a virtualmin user and do that tomorrow.

It is just I know I set up a webmin user as i wanted years ago - that user still showing - but domain and home directories etc long gone, so can’t go backwards sadly.

Will try your suggestion tomorrow and see what happens…But, problem is there are no domains that have been set up with vmin, so nothing showing there and there is no option to add an existing domain that is running to the list, nor to add a user to vmin - I do not want to risk damaging all the config files on the server by trying to add a domain that already exists.

Any more clues on that please
John

I also told you how to do it without Virtualmin.

???
Sorry, missed something there as you said some suggestions for webmin!

I have the page “import virtual server” which looks straightforward…but can you please confim whether this changes ANYTHING on the server or JUST adds it to vmin and leaves theserver and all its settings untouched??

Cheers

Quote (as not sure how to use a quote option) " It really sounds like you should be using Virtualmin?

You can carefully configure ACLs for Webmin users, but if you’re doing shared hosting, that’s what Virtualmin is for. You’re gonna be working pretty danged hard for no reason doing it all manually.

To configure ACLs in Webmin:

Webmin->Webmin Users and Groups->Click the username->Click the module (e.g. Sendmail)->…impose whatever limits you want…

Not all modules have fine-grained ACLs. Webmin began as an administrative tool intended for root-level users to do root-level administrative tasks. It got fine-grained access control soon after, but many modules, especially third party modules, do not have that capability. Everything we use in Virtualmin has fine-grained ACLs (by necessity, since Virtualmin is for shared-hosting)."

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.