Mode Z compression in ProFTPd

Hello, first of all hello to all people of the forum because this is my first post.
Second, i have one big problem, i’m a good technical systems but a little newbie of Linux, i buy Virtualmin PRO for put a few webs and especially for install and mantain an FTP server, i need the Mode Z because i copy all days a large files with high level of compression, without mode z takes over an hour one only file, and with mode z less than 15 minutes all files.
I don’t see mode Z in config of ProFTPd and only see in Google recompile ProFTPd to put the mode Z
Can i install another FTP Server or makes any changes without compile to have the modez compression ???
I searching an “easy” way to have and maintain a good ftp server without many problems, please, any suggestion or idea is welcome.

Thanks for all and best regards :wink:

Yeah, it looks like if you want to use Mode Z, that you’d need to either compile ProFTP yourself, or use another FTP server.

You can certainly install and use a different FTP server, it’s just that Virtualmin’s ability to manage it may be limited (but really, Virtualmin doesn’t do much with FTP anyhow, so that’s not likely a big deal).

Or, you can compile ProFTP yourself – there’s instructions here for how to compile it with mod_deflate support:

http://castaglia.org/proftpd/modules/mod_deflate.html#Usage

Thank you Andreychek, but if i compile ProFTP with your instructions, can i maintain ftp server after through virtualmin panel and either domain i have created through virtualmin have the mode z protocol ???

Howdy,

I don’t know anything about mode z :slight_smile:

The only things I can offer are:

1. Virtualmin can manage ProFTPd

2. According to the ProFTP mod_deflate documentation, it supports mode z if you set "DeflateEngine" to "On" in the proftp config file.

Beyond that, you’ll have to figure out how to get all that to work by reading the docs and such :slight_smile:
-Eric

Thank you Eric, a thousands of thank you :wink:

Ok, ok, i understand, but i don’t sure about many things …

If i re-install ProFTPd with re-compile with mod-deflate, and i activated "deflatengine" in default server after … :

1.- Can i continue admin ProFTPd through Virtualmin ??
2.- The new domains created by Virtualmin have this option ???

Thanks a lot for all of your help, I really appreciate your time and patience!

I don’t know enough about mod_deflate to answer question #2 :slight_smile: I imagine it’d work fine, but you’ll have to try it out and see.

Virtualmin will be able to manage ProFTPd just fine whether you compile it, or it came from a package. This would be easiest if the init scripts and configuration files remained in the same locations they’re at now, otherwise, you’ll have to tell Virtualmin about their new locations.
-Eric

If i re-install ProFTPd with re-compile with mod-deflate, and i activated "deflatengine" in default server after .... :

What OS are you running there? I might be able to build a new proftpd for our repos with this option available (if it isn’t already available). (Though we only provide proftpd for a few systems. Most already have packages for it in the base OS.)

1.- Can i continue admin ProFTPd through Virtualmin ??

Yes, assuming you configure the Webmin ProFTPd module appropriately for the new version of ProFTPd.

2.- The new domains created by Virtualmin have this option ???

It’s not a per-domain option. It’s either on or off in ProFTPd. So, yes, if you turn it on, it will be on for everyone (though I’m sure it’s negotiated, so it probably doesn’t use it if the client doesn’t support it).