Missing Nameservers

Sorry, but I have another nameserver post/issue.

It appears that all of my domains are working ok, but, as a little issue was reported, it has lead me to find that I do have a general DNS issue.

Error Missing nameservers reported by parent
FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems!
my.domain.com

Error Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers
ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns1.domain.com
ns2.domain.com
This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

I am having trouble getting my head around this and what the solution is - does anyone have some pointers?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sounds like you just might need to add NS records to your Virtualmin server.

For example, in Virtualmin, go to the domain in question, and choose Services -> DNS Domain -> Nameservers, and make sure there are NS records there for each of your nameservers.

To handle that for new Virtual Servers, you can go into System Settings -> Server Templates -> Default -> BIND DNS Domain, and set:

• “Master DNS server hostname” – Make sure this is the first nameserver – if your system hostname isn’t the name of the first nameserver you’re using, that’s fine, but make sure you put the correct name here.

• “Additional manually configured nameservers” – any other nameservers you’re using would go in here.

Let us know how that works for you,

-Eric

Eric,

I already have namesevers set up - here are the records:

@ IN SOA alpha.server.com. root.alpha.server.com. (
38400 )
@ IN NS alpha.server.com.
domain.co.uk. IN A 78.0.0.0
www.domain.co.uk. IN A 78.0.0.0
ftp.domain.co.uk. IN A 78.0.0.0
m.domain.co.uk. IN A 78.0.0.0
localhost.domain.co.uk. IN A 127.0.0.1
webmail.domain.co.uk. IN A 778.0.0.0
admin.domain.co.uk. IN A 78.0.0.0
mail.domain.co.uk. IN A 78.0.0.0
domain.co.uk. IN MX 5 mail.domain.co.uk.
domain.co.uk. IN TXT “v=spf1 a mx a:domain.co.uk ip4:78.0.0.0 ?all”
ns1.domain.co.uk. IN NS 78.0.0.0
ns2.domain.co.uk. IN NS 78.1.1.1

This is repeated across all domains, except that on a couple I do not have ns’s set up under the domain name, but the server domain name.

I am baffled!

Paul

I guess I’d need to see an actual domain name that you’re having trouble with so that I could do some testing – I’m not quite sure what the problem is either ATM :slight_smile:

One thing I’d do, just to be super-sure, is to restart BIND, and then take a peek in the log files to make sure there aren’t any errors.

-Eric