Webmin version 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.3-1
Related packages SUGGESTED

Operating system: Ubuntu Linux 20.04.5 to Debian Linux 11
Virtualmin version: 7.3 to 7.3-1
Webmin version: 2.010 to 2.001
Authentic theme version: 20.11 to 20.01.1:5
Databas MySQL to MariaDB

I’m having trouble with some error message that I don’t understand and cannot solve.
It seems like the database is involved.
Attaches an excerpt of the status and error message.
Thanks for all help.

systemd[1]: Started MariaDB 10.5.15 database server.
/etc/mysql/debian-start[24950]: Upgrading MySQL tables if necessary.
mariadbd[24924]: 2022-12-16 18:10:02 3 [Warning] Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)
/etc/mysql/debian-start[24953]: Looking for ‘mysql’ as: /usr/bin/mysql
/etc/mysql/debian-start[24953]: Reading datadir from the MariaDB server failed. Got the following error when executing the ‘mysql’ command line client
/etc/mysql/debian-start[24953]: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)
/etc/mysql/debian-start[24953]: FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
/etc/mysql/debian-start[24962]: Checking for insecure root accounts.
mariadbd[24924]: 2022-12-16 18:10:02 4 [Warning] Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)
debian-start[24966]: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)

This looks like you have binary databases that you’re trying to migrate from MySQL to MariaDB. You can’t do that, as far as I know. You need a dump/restore.

Though, it does look like it’s trying to do that, and only failing because it’s happening without root privileges…I don’t know how to fix that, as it’s happening on startup. I think you’d need to start mariadb in safe mode as the root user in order to proceed on this.

But I would probably dump/restore instead of trying to do a binary migration, I think. But, this is not our area of expertise. We aren’t MySQL or MariaDB experts, we’re just users, like all of y’all (maybe a bit more advanced than most, but we have no knowledge of the code).

I should be clear, this isn’t a Virtualmin issue, this is a MySQL to MariaDB issue…Virtualmin isn’t even involved yet.

And, you have the third option of sticking with MySQL. I’ve posted several times the steps to do that on a new install.

Thanks Joe,

I will try MySQL instead.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.