Migrate Virtual Server runs out of disk space on the root partition

I’m trying to migrate a large backup from DirectAdmin but when I run it, Virtualmin tries to extract the tarball to /tmp/. This partition only has a few GB of free space. The migration fails and Virtualmin crashes because it can’t write to the /tmp/ directory.

Can I set the restore process to extract to the same directory as the tar file or is there some other option here?

Howdy,

One way to solve that would be to change Webmin’s temp directory.

To do that, you can go into Webmin -> Webmin -> Webmin Configuration -> Advanced Options, and there, you can select your preferred temp directory.

-Eric

Lovely thank you Eric!

Damn - new error:

Cannot open: No space left on device /bin/tar

Can I do something similar for this tmp dir?

Hmm, when are you seeing that particular error?

So this is at the beginning of a directadmin migration during the initial “verifying” phase. It looks like the files are extracted somewhere (I can see the old file paths in the error) and checked. The migration fails with the path from the tarball domains/domain.com/path/to/file and the message above. Its late here but I can run it again in the morning and paste the full error if needed.

Yeah the full output and error might be helpful.

Also, what is the output of the command “df -h”?

Thanks Eric, the tar.gz file is 153gb (mostly due to pesky images I dont even need on the new box).

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/centos-root 20G 3.3G 17G 17% /
devtmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /dev
tmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 32G 35M 32G 1% /run
tmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 1014M 184M 831M 19% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg1-home1 129G 585M 122G 1% /home
/dev/mapper/vg1-var 679G 148G 503G 23% /var
tmpfs 6.3G 0 6.3G 0% /run/user/0

Validating migration file …
… validation failed : Not a DirectAdmin tar.gz file : Un-archive command failed : /bin/tar: domains/domain.com/private_html/tacs/scripts/bb/images/5b4ec8da63796.png: Cannot open: No space left on device /bin/tar: domains/domain.com/private_html/tacs/scripts/bb/images/5bab0390b995d.jpg: Cannot open: No space left on device /bin/tar:
…100 more lines like this…
domains/domain.com/private_html/tacs/scripts/nd/images/5b7a4a973f360.jpg: Cannot open: No space left on device /bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Do I need to re-partition to make 160gb free on root?