MariaDB support after unwanted change

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Operating system: Ubuntu Linux 18.04.5
Webmin version: 1.973
Virtualmin version: 6.16
Related products version: RECOMMENDED

Follow-up of

Is there any progress?
It is too painfull replacing MariaDB back to MySQL after the unwanted change by a mistaken Virtuamin upgrade.
I followed this advice from ILia which look the simplest:

1. Putting this package on hold, like apt-mark hold virtualmin-lamp-stack (however this will prevent running upgrades from UI as Webmin Software Packages Updates module uses -y param with package name individually to upgrade a package, however, when package that is on hold is getting changed, upgrade will not work automatically (thankfully) unless additional param --allow-change-held-packages is passed). In other words future package upgrades could only be done using console by running apt-get upgrade command;

I then updating all 138 packages from the webmin UI excluding the virtualmin-lamp-stack package.
This did not break the server, and all updates disappeared including the virtualmin-lamp-stack package.
I dared to reboot the server, and everything is still working.

Now, I understand that the virtualmin-lamp-stack package will not be updated anymore, preventing unwanted revert to MySQL.

1. Will future updates show up in Webmin, or will I need to run apt-get update/upgrade periodically?

2. What will not be upgraded by the apt-get upgrade command? Will Apache, PHP and Mariadb still upgraded? What about Webmin and Virtualmin?

3. Will Webmin/virtualmin be eventually fixed to keep MariaDB if it is used instead of MySQL?

Thanks for help.

I have put virtualmin-lamp-stack on hold, everything is fine, I run apt-get update/upgrade.
What are the side-effects? What Webmin/Virtuamin will miss?

he is on 18.04 out of dateā€¦ pointless to even say somethingā€¦

virtualmin-lamp-stack is a meta-package, just a list of dependencies. It does not lock versions of those dependencies (it may have some minimum versions specified, but thatā€™s not going to prevent updates).

It has nothing to do with any other software updates on your system. Updates will continue to work as always.

@unborn 18.04 is not EOL. It continues to be supported by Ubuntu, and by us.

1 Like

End of life for 18.04 LTS is April of 2023. For 20.04 LTS itā€™s April of 2025.

@all Iā€™m sorry I do not use Ubuntu os at all for some reason and I was wrongā€¦Iā€™m very sorry for my comments in community.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.