MariaDB Automatically Stops After Some Time

Hi,
I have installed the Virtualmin LEMP stack installed on Ubuntu 18.04. Everything is working fine except for the MariaDB Server. The MariaDB server stops automatically after some time and when I go the Webmin Panel and again restart MariaDB it works just fine.

I don’t what’s causing the MariaDB server to stop automatically. I have 3.75GB of Ram and have set the MariaDB Configuration Size to Medium System (512M) as I don’t have high MySQL usage and I am hosting 2 WordPress Sites on the VPS.

Does the SQL server crash coincide with any other memory or CPU consuming process such as for antivirus, can you check?

Check the MariaDB log for some errors.

1 Like

This is what I found in the system error log.

https://pastebin.com/wc6yadFV

I have disabled AV as I have a Minimal Install of Virtualmin

Seen this before. Ubuntu is such a poor choice of OS if one is looking for stability and performance. But anyway, this should help you:

or

2 Likes

Its true and I really like that information to be actually said (been attacked before when I did try to explain users (the humans) that its mess… thanks. :+1: :+1: :+1:

hehe man thanks for your comment.
I don’t really care if I’m attacked or not, I speak my mind and profess my opinion based on many years of IT experience and as servers administrator.

Ubuntu was a hype - a pure marketing move - but the OS itself was always full of bugs, the Desktop Manager by Canonical was also full of issues (they killed it meanwhile wasn’t it?), and the worst thing of all, they have major releases every couple of years, like server admins will be upgrading the base system cause they got nothing better to do.
For example 18.04 LTS released oct-2019 will have end of standard support by april 2023 and will be EOL in 2028
CentOS 8 released Sept-2019 will have full updates and support until May 2024 and maintenance updates until 2029. (10 years)

CentOS 6, released in 2011, will become EOL late november this year.

That’s how release cycles work for server software. not like shitbuntu that from 2012 until today has released 6 LTS - 10.04, 12.04, 14.04, 16.04, 18.04, 20.04.
And wtf is it with the pair numbers and the .04? I mean, wtf? :man_facepalming:

when these people start using decent distros for their servers, their life will be much better. Until then, they’ll just be messing around and losing valuable time meddling with issues that only happen due to their poor choices.

Hey Should I migrate to CentOS from Ubuntu ??

I would recommend that, yes.

I am very used to work with RHEL and the free full-functioning CentOS, and imho is one of the best choices if you are running servers and if you’re looking to have a stable system, with good performance.
Enable SELinux in Permissive mode and see the logs before enforcing - permissive gives you warnings but allows operation.

and get to learn dnf / yum. unlike that stone-age package manager called apt, you’ll have a package manager that takes care of all dependencies in a zippy, allows you to see history of past transactions, allows rollbacks, man it’s space age compared to apt.

Some people also use Debian, which is far better than ubuntu. I’m not a fan, apt being there is one reason, among others, but at least is more stable than shitbuntu. I have debian in a couple of proxmox servers bc them people at proxmox made that business decision to tie an app to one OS, but well at least isn’t ubuntu.

I’m not super invested either way - i.e. Ubuntu or CentOS, but what you wrote above shows Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has full support for 4 years vs CentOS 8 having full support for 4 years and 8 months.

The former (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) being EOL after 9 years and the latter (CentOS 8) after 10 years.

Is one really shit and one awesome on the basis of 8 months difference in full support and 1 year with respect to EOL?

The pair of numbers are YY.MM of release.

Ideally that long support would be meaningful if there wasn’t a major release every couple of years with significant differences that require constant migrations.
It matters most not regarding the OS developers maintenance updates and whatnot (which are not even that reliable on ubuntu’s case), but the issue is on the underlying system for each major release that have significant changes to make software unsupported or conflict more, as developers will aim to the newer versions and disregard nuances of those older. The method and approach is wrong and today’s community using this is not because of knowledge or reliability or stability, but because of marketing how it was pushed to academia, (because of an “open-source is good and fun” and hype, marketing around a message that made this (this->ubuntu) stick).

As I accounted for, it’s 6 majors since 2012. for me that’s both insane and stupid, it’s not a correct approach regarding the mentioned stability and performance. Even the support is completely different as people in RedHat are paid to keep top notch maintenance on the older versions, because there are major paying companies running with those systems.

Thanks for the YY.MM thing, again its just stupid, and that’s my opinion.

@maverick - appreciate you taking the time out to comment and give your thoughts.

1 Like

Any distro is a plus/minus decision. I prefer RPM based distros because yum is easier to type than apt-get.

Speaking of package managers, if you thought Ubuntu Snaps were funny, get a load of Red Hat’s Flatpak anti-security. It’s a hoot!

1 Like

Hi @ramin about flatpak (which isn’t red hats was developed by the Linux team former X Desktop Group) I haven’t touched it at all if it isn’t too much to ask could you elaborate your thoughts about it? Thanks!

@sumeetchoudhary’s post has strayed off topic enough already. Start a new thread in the hair splitting category.

Was marked as solved on post #7. I’d say someone looking for the solution won’t be astray.

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.