manually upgrade virtualmin

ah now I understand :slight_smile: man why did you no say docker earlier? I would suggest you to not use docker at all… if you fellow sysops - you would know why. I am afraid that you are alone on this. - never run server as docker - docker have its own security issues - sorry. Docker is fine for some - low end apps but not fine for running a server on it - thats just bad

• regards what I can do with rps - Ive been there and we dont need to discuss that any more (I was hoping that this is behind us already - so no comment on this)…if you have docker specified issue please go ahead and open issue ticket - docker is really bad regards the security… - I mean in my final words - please ask the docker maintainer to solve your issue or ask virtualmin guys to provide the solution to your issue - as it is not virtualmin fail also keep watching about the security. …man just google it out.

PS - if you think you do amazing stuff with rps - you should try some 10 years older hardware - it will take your rps into the massive shame - regards what you can do with it - no fights from my side - im just realistic about this one…

Anyway - I do not support docker and I would not recommend rps 32bit for server it self unless its pure one use purpose like vpn or rsync - they are not capable to run nothings more - my pure opinion tested by years…good luck with your rp and docker - etc…

the n570 is running the dockers… as the stuff inside the dockers just is provided no other usefull way. I have no questions on that

So no dockers on the rpi3 that is running plain 32bit rasp/debian with webmin and virtualmin (old) that is what my question is about.

• as I said - its really pointless to reply… please ask virtualmin.com guys or prs docker channel out there - please also consider safety of docker it self - nothing to do with virtualmin.com it self.

Now please do read… there is NO docker issue. there is NO docker is NOT running on the rpi3

@Volk, people being curious is an ok thing. But challenging what I have without proper reading on the topic and never come anywhere close to a solution is another…

Anyway the amount of concurrent users hitting the machine doesn’t exceed my needs in any.

Your proposal (1, 2, 3 and 4) is the first sensible reaction to my question.
I thought if this: As an RPI is a nifty little thing easy enough to take out the micro SD and clone it.
Insert the clone and perform the update on that. When it works it is ok, when it doesn’t reinsert the original and find another way…

I ran out of spare micro SD’s… need to go to the shops and hopefully find me some identical ones…

ah sorry for time taking - been a bit bussy out there… well - I would still suggest at best bet out there virtualmin guys or some rpis irc… I assume that you are running server directly - to be honest those mods they made for prs removing issue to creating another one - im out of it…I simply stick to pure debian… sorry about that man.

@pieterG

…this is bollox utterly - virtalmin is and was released as gpl (which you are currently using it) meas if you not happy with anything - you can do your own changes - you are very much free to do so! (its opensource end of the day) - the point is please do respect all other devs like me or volk or diabolico on this issue - just be normal, nice to us. Volk-ov and diabolico him self (and me) did try to help you out however - he gave out the glue you need it same as me…

I’ve been using debian my self for years ago… since debian 5. on my desktops and on servers since debian 6. - to be honest with you, please search help on rps irc channels as debian channel will not support you at all. - I did already told you those limitations. Docker here and there or not - rps are modified and you should ask devs why and whats modified… you should always ask for help with the creator of the system… if program does not work for you, you should ask the creator of the os to help you - or at least for source code so you would be able to make it working for you as you wanted… I guess this is wrong place to asking with your behaviour to other well respected devops and sysops out here. - for me this is closed.