Makemap not found while creating email alias

Hello!

I’m trying to get email working for one of the domains on my server. I’m using Virtualmin to set it up, but when I try to create an email address with this command:

virtualmin create-alias --domain foo.com --from sales --to joe@foo.com

It gives me this error:

Error

makemap failed : sh: 1: makemap: not found

I’ve searched high and low and can’t find any good answer to the problem. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Howdy,

Hmm, what mail server are you using on your server? Are you using the default Postfix, or did you switch to a different mail server?

I believe makemap is part of Sendmail, and Virtualmin should only be looking for that if it were configured to use Sendmail rather than Postfix.

If Virtualmin is indeed using Sendmail, you’d want to make sure makemap is installed, and that within Webmin, that the Sendmail module has the correct path to makemap.

Also, which distro/version is it that you’re using there?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

I’m using Sendmail. To be honest, I don’t know why Sendmail was chosen instead of Postfix. This is the first time I’ve used Virtualmin, so I just installed it using the standard instructions, I think.

I can’t figure out whether makemap is installed. I’ve checked usr/bin/ where I believe it should be, and it’s not there. I’ve searched Google and no good answers about makemap; I event went to Bing in desperation, but to no avail.

I’m running Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS.

Do you think installing postfix is a solution? Would I need to uninstall sendmail?

Thanks!

Howdy,

Well, do you have any accounts setup on your server that you don’t want to lose?

Using Postfix really might make things a lot simpler, though switching to it generally requires having to re-setup all your email accounts.

That said, it looks like makemap is part of the sendmail-bin package on Ubuntu – if you don’t have that installed, you could always try installing it.

-Eric