Mail reverse dns

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version alma linux 9
Virtualmin version virtualmin 7.9

can somebody explain me here on virtualmin, deploying a server how to setup correctly reverse dns per domain so the mail will not be delivered as spam.

if there is a tutorial somewhere i will like to take a look on that

thank you

sarantopoulos nikos

Your ISP needs to set up rDNS for you. Some ISPs allow you to change it yourself but usually, you’ll have to add an A record (e.g. server.example.com) pointing it to your Virtualmin server’s IP address and then ask the ISP to set up the rDNS for server.example.com

You as an end user cannot usually change your reverse DNS assigned to your IP, this has to be done by your provider. I changed mine with my provider to give a better server name. I gave them something along the lines of webserver.mydomain.com

1. To get your reverse DNS for your IP go here Reverse IP Lookup - MxToolbox
  2. Set your hostname for your virtualmin server host name to match the reverse DNS (i.e. virtualmin.mydomain.com)

Done

i have my own server in one provider and at then end of february i will go to velia i am not hosting any site on isp or hosting providers for web, i run my own servers

thank you

sarantopoulos nikos

That is not strictly true, for example my provider does allow the end user to alter this record, you could serve DNS (ptr record) via Webmin/Virtualmin 's bind module. That said as most don’t want to want to use their providers name servers or cloudflare. Why not research what is available from a provider before signing up ?

maybe I am splitting hairs here — if your ISP allows you to adjust your rDNS aka PTR record via their control panel is NOT the same thing as Virtualmin having bind installed locally and serving that PTR record from your own server.

Granted, in some circumstances your ISP could delegate (? not sure thats the right term) that PTR zone to you, but I would think this is very VERY rare.

You don’t. You can only ever have one PTR record per IP address you have on your system. Assuming you’re virtual hosting on one IP, that means you get one PTR record.

And, that’s completely fine.

It is irrelevant what the PTR record name is, as long as that name resolves back to the IP.

PTR records aren’t a Virtualmin question. Your hosting provider controls the network block, and the PTR records for the IPs they own. Some hosts will delegate the PTR record for your IP(s) to you, in which case, you can go into Webmin->Servers->BIND DNS Server and add a reverse record for your IP.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.