mail.domain.com or just domain.com

Hi,

I noticed when I create a new virtual server that it creates all the DNS records, such as ftp, mai,webmail, etc.

I host my DNS on a 3rd party so I have to do that manually on their end if I want to replicate the same stuff Virtualmin comes up with automatically…

Now here’s my question, what’s the advantage of using for example: “mail.domain.com” instead of just setting up an MX record on my root domain? here’s my current set up: on my root domain, I have an MX entry going to “mydomain.com.” which works like a charm.
Should I instead add the MX record to “mail.domain.com” on my root domain and create another host called mail.domain.com pointing to my IP? I guess is double work? unless there’s a good reason for creating a host named mail.domain.com?

thank you!

what’s the advantage of using for example: “mail.domain.com” instead of just setting up an MX record on my root domain? here’s my current set up: on my root domain, I have an MX entry going to “mydomain.com.” which works like a charm.

It doesn’t matter at all, and if what you have now works, that’s great!

The reason to use “mail.domain.com” is:

1. So the purpose is obvious

2. Perhaps more importantly, if you ever wanted to host your email on a separate server, you’d only have to change one record – the “mail.domain.com” record.

-Eric