mail client can't connect to imap server

hi, I am trying to connect to a freshly installed virtualmin server, everything else is running except for imap

when a mail client tries to connect they get the following error

Task ‘Synchronizing subscribed folders for ****************@atiptopcomputer.com.’ reported error (0x8004DF0B) : ‘Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for astevens@atiptopcomputer.com. Error: The connection to the server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

its as if imap isn’t responding, but dovecot says its running

how can I fix this

Howdy,

Do you see any errors in the mail log (/var/log/messages) when trying to connect?

One thing you may want to check is to set “disable_plaintext_auth” to “no” in your dovecot config, sometimes that can cause trouble.

-Eric

it is set to no

I get the following error from outlook

Task ‘Synchronizing subscribed folders for ************@atiptopcomputer.com.’ reported error (0x800CCC0E) : ‘Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for *****************s@atiptopcomputer.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

Do you see any errors in the email log when trying to connect? That’s either /var/log/maillog or /var/log/mail.log.

Also, what does this command show:

netstat -an | grep :143

That should show whether Dovecot is listening for IMAP connections.

-Eric