Lot of complicated non workable mailing system

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 20.04 (64 Bit)
Webmin version Version 7.0
Virtualmin version Version 7.0
Related packages SUGGESTED

Hi,

Very bad experience. Lot of issues and complication email system. I could not setup functionality of emails.

Is anybody know proper email setup of any best ? Please guide me.

Hi, and welcome to the community!

You will need to be quite a bit more specific in your queries.
The mailing system in Virtualmin works correctly out of the box and have done for many many years (I’ve been a user for 12-13 years if my memory serves me well).
What exact problems are you seeing?

You have made the title of this topic “Lots of bugs in mailing system” and the admitted in the body of the post that you have been unable to setup email.

Perhaps you could edit the caption to make the problem less about bugs in Virtualmin and more about your own inadequacy? As @toreskev pointed out, Virtualmin (and its email system) works quite well for all of us here. The problem therefore is with you and not with bugs in Virtualmin, as you have made it out to be.

Please edit the caption and then answer the question @toreskev has asked. Also confirm that you installed Virtualmin by following instructions in the official documentation at Automated Virtualmin Installation – Virtualmin.

1 Like

you might need a license to drive lol
https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/

Thanks for response. I installed as per instruction with only 2 commands. Installation was complete without any error. Website is loading fine after all setup.
But 1st I used postfix but emails are not start outgoing & incoming via smtp port 587 or 25.
If we test SMTP Diag Tool , there is following error log. All ports are open 587 & 25

Connecting to mail server.
Connected.
220 serverDOTexampleDOTcom ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
EHLO DESKTOP-B6Q42OA
250-serverDOTexampleDOTcom
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250-SMTPUTF8
250 CHUNKING
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
YWRtaW5Ad2ViaG9zdGluZ3Blb3BsZS5pbg==
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
NDRtZnhlcmcxJA==
454 4.7.0 Temporary authentication failure: generic failure
Forcing disconnection from SMTP server.
QUIT
221 2.0.0 Bye
Disconnected.

Error: SMTP protocol error. 454 4.7.0 Temporary authentication failure: generic failure.
Failed to send message

Above example.com is not real domain. Real active domain is different.I used DOT due to not shared link.

Thanks for suggestion. Yes , I install as per your given Automated Virtualmin Installation – Virtualmin but without any option.

Installation was complete without any error. Website is loading fine after all setup.
But 1st I used postfix but emails are not start outgoing & incoming via smtp port 587 or 25.
If we test SMTP Diag Tool , there is following error log. All ports are open 587 & 25

Connecting to mail server.
Connected.
220 serverDOTexampleDOTcom ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
EHLO DESKTOP-B6Q42OA
250-serverDOTexampleDOTcom
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250-SMTPUTF8
250 CHUNKING
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
YWRtaW5Ad2ViaG9zdGluZ3Blb3BsZS5pbg==
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
NDRtZnhlcmcxJA==
454 4.7.0 Temporary authentication failure: generic failure
Forcing disconnection from SMTP server.
QUIT
221 2.0.0 Bye
Disconnected.

Error: SMTP protocol error. 454 4.7.0 Temporary authentication failure: generic failure.
Failed to send message

Above example.com is not real domain. Real active domain is different.I used DOT due to not shared link.

I had this error before once. Turned out my system clock wasn’t properly synchronized with the server clock.

So How did you synchronize? I was set the time zone of server and then server is show correct date & time accurate with my laptop.

Now please look following:

root@server:~# timedatectl
Local time: Wed 2022-05-18 17:28:23 IST
Universal time: Wed 2022-05-18 11:58:23 UTC
RTC time: Wed 2022-05-18 11:58:24
Time zone: Asia/Kolkata (IST, +0530)
System clock synchronized: yes
NTP service: active
RTC in local TZ: no

Check the mail log as well to see what the server says.

Steve

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.