lookup-domain LSBInitScript problem

Hi,
I just installed Debian Squeeze amd64 today then installed virtualmin and a strange error occured after the installation when I tried to install anything from APT.

insserv: warning: script ‘S99lookup-domain’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script ‘lookup-domain’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: There is a loop at service rmnologin if started
insserv: There is a loop between service lookup-domain and checkroot if started
insserv: loop involving service checkroot at depth 5
insserv: loop involving service hostname at depth 4
insserv: There is a loop between service rmnologin and mountall if started
insserv: loop involving service mountall at depth 8
insserv: loop involving service checkfs at depth 7
insserv: loop involving service mtab at depth 6
insserv: There is a loop at service lookup-domain if started
insserv: There is a loop between service lookup-domain and mountnfs if started
insserv: loop involving service mountnfs at depth 3
insserv: loop involving service networking at depth 2
insserv: loop involving service mountnfs-bootclean at depth 5
insserv: There is a loop between service rmnologin and ifupdown-clean if started
insserv: loop involving service ifupdown-clean at depth 1
insserv: loop involving service quota at depth 11
insserv: Starting lookup-domain depends on rmnologin and therefore on system facility $all' which can not be true! insserv: Starting lookup-domain depends on rmnologin and therefore on system facility $all’ which can not be true!
insserv: Starting lookup-domain depends on rmnologin and therefore on system facility $all' which can not be true! insserv: Starting lookup-domain depends on rmnologin and therefore on system facility $all’ which can not be true!

I’m not sure what’s going on, but I guess the problem is in the lookup-domain init script? There’s a lot of bugs of this type on google but they are all from the time when Squeeze was unstable.

Does anyone have any idea? Is it a Virtualmin bug?

Is it possible to set not tu run lookup-domain server? (as I was asked by the wizzard)?

I looked everywhere to change the initial wizzard setting from lookup-domain as server (which means buggy init script is placed in rc.X dirs) to start on demand. I didn’t find it, so I stopped the service and removed the init scripts manually from rc.X dirs.

Now I’m able to install all packages I couldn’t install yesterday - no problem. I hope, that stopping the lookup domain service manually isn’t dangerous step.

I’ve added a LSB header to the lookup-domain script and it works fine now:

$ cat /etc/init.d/lookup-domain #!/bin/sh # Daemon for quickly looking up Virtualmin servers from procmail

BEGIN INIT INFO

Provides: lookup-domain

Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network $time

Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network

Default-Start: 2 3 4 5

Default-Stop: 0 1 6

Short-Description: start and stop the virtualmin lookup daemon

Description: virtualmin lookup daemon

END INIT INFO

case “$1” in

Thank you zimage for saving me from total despair yet again. I added the LSB header and all is well.

I had this issue with my previous installation too (same, distro and version, and had Virtualmin installed using the automated script) and I thought I’d be rid of it if I just reinstalled Debian after scouring the internet for what used to be nonexistent answers.

Why was it necessary in the first place? Is this a problem with Debian Squeeze, the proftpd package, the insserv lookup-domain stuff, or Virtualmin/Webmin and the install.sh?

EDIT: Oops I forgot to mention something. I don’t know if this is caused by Virtualmin or the recently updated proftpd package in Squeeze. I updated it through Update Manager. Is it okay to do that for components of Virtualmin or should I wait for Virtualmin to verify and update or something?

zimage,

Thanks a lot! You saved my day! I had to delay the use of my brand new web server due to this errors/warnings.

I opened a new ticket on the tracker: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/17618 (and credited you for this solution)

User JamieCameron gave a temporary solution to this problem until it gets fixed in the next VirtualMin version:

Yeah, there is a bug in the default Webmin config on Debian - creation of LSB-style headers in init scripts is not on by default. You can enable this by editing /etc/webmin/init/config and at the end adding the line :

init_info=1

However, this will only effect init scripts created from now on. So your manual fix to /etc/init.d/lookup-domain is a good work-around.

The next release of Webmin will fix this properly, by making the creation of LSB headers the default after installation.

my lookup-domain look like below, but the problem remains, can not install anything on Virtualmin with Debian 6
not sure if I missed here something.

cat /etc/init.d/lookup-domain
#!/bin/sh

Daemon for quickly looking up Virtualmin servers from procmail

case “$1” in
‘start’)
/usr/sbin/virtualmin lookup-domain-daemon
RETVAL=$?
;;
‘stop’)
kill cat /var/webmin/lookup-domain-daemon.pid
RETVAL=$?