lookup-domain-d uses cpu 100%

lookup-domain-d uses cpu 100% and 3.4%RAM (on a linode with 1.5GB RAM), constantly, for each of one or two process started.

The problem appeared suddenly for the first time after doing an aptitude upgrade, which upgraded Debian mysql packages from 5.5.22 to 5.5.23. (Not that I have any other reason to think the problem and the upgrade are related.)

Websites on the server were still working, but I noticed the problem from ‘top’ and from viewing the Linode graphs.

For now I have disabled Spamassasin for all accounts, turned it off, and stopped the lookup service, but I do need a spam filter. I will be grateful for any suggestions about the cause or cure of this problem.

Same problem here. The problem started to appear after the MySQL update on my Debian server. But I’m not sure that the root problem is MySQL because a lot of package were updated at the same time as MySQL.

I opened a bug report on the tracker: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/21889
If you can add any valuable information, don’t hesitate :smiley:


John_B, do you use a 64bit system? have you done the kernel update v2.6.32? is it possible that you did this update along with the MySQL one?

Jamie asked this in the bug report as well, but are you both using the new Virtualmin version – 3.91?

There was a change made to the lookup-daemon in that version that should have resolved that. But if you’re both using 3.91, Jamie may need to dig deeper into that.


Yes virtualmin 3.91, 64 bit. Kernel 3, not upgraded at this time. uname outputs:
3.0.18-x86_64-linode24 #1 SMP Mon Jan 30 14:25:46 EST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Aptitude log for the problem upgrade shows only upgrades to mysql and :
webmin-virtual-server 3.90.gpl-2 -> 3.91.gpl
webmin-virtual-server-theme 8.2 -> 8.4

I also use v3.91 and the update was also done at the same time as MySQL and linux kernel. I will add this to the bug tracker.


Linux 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5xen on x86_64

Webmin version 1.585

Operating system CentOS Linux 5.8

mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.23, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1

It wasn’t because of mysql I think. Problems started when I installed:

from /var/log/yum.log:

Apr 25 14:11:49 Updated: openssl-0.9.8e-22.el5_8.3.x86_64

Apr 25 14:11:52 Updated: openssl-0.9.8e-22.el5_8.3.i686

Apr 25 14:11:57 Updated: openssl-devel-0.9.8e-22.el5_8.3.x86_64

Apr 25 14:12:01 Updated: openssl-devel-0.9.8e-22.el5_8.3.i386

After updating to Virtualmin 3.91GPL, I have been noticing this same problem. The lookup-domain-daemons bring my CPU usage all the way up. The server doesn’t have that much mail coming in, and it hasn’t had this problem prior to this upgrade.

It’s a VPS with Ubuntu 10.04 x64 server, 1GB of RAM and a single core/CPU.

Normal load levels are 0.3 or so, with about 50% of RAM used. When lookup service is active, the load goes up to 20 constant (5 minute average) and RAM usage to 80-90%.

Somehow I missed this post when I was searching before creating my own issue, but I had the same issue and believe I’ve found a solution:

Check it out, hopefully it helps: