Login fails with root:password but shell access works

Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04

I just set up a VPS with Ubuntu 16.04. I installed virtualmin using the install.sh file. I can shell into the server using the root:password. However, I am unable to log into webmin using the browser interface. It replies: Warning! Login failed. Please try again. Trying again and again of course locks me out until I reset things. Password for root is correct so what can I investigate to correct this failure to log in. Will I need to reinstall Virtualmin?

This might be related to me screwing up the host name setting of the server at the time I installed virtualmin. I was able to log in using the IP address but not the FQDN of the server. I might still need help in fixing this mess if you can tell me where I need to look.

You could set the Webmin + Virtualmin root user password via:

sudo /usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root <your-root-password>

I am going to wipe the server. I made a few mistakes in setting up things so I am just going to wipe the server and start over.

Your suggestion did not work; still cannot log in using the FQDN; will wipe the server and start over.

All the best!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.