Lighter antispam?

many of emails i received go into spam folder because they get:
1.2 SPF_NEUTRAL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (neutral)
but many emails are ok, so… how can i make spamassin lighter and let more email come?
i prever more spam than not receiving emails.
thanks

neorf

Howdy,

A couple of comments –

First, if you’re seeing tests such as “SPF_NEUTRAL SPF” being set – something may be wrong with the SPF setup of the people sending you emails. That means it’s doing what it should :slight_smile:

Ideally, they’d correct their SPF setup.

However, since not everything is ideal – if a specific test is frequently causing problems, you can change it’s score by editing SpamAssassin’s local.cf in /etc/, and adding something like:

score SPF_NEUTRAL SPF 0

However, another note is that by default, SpamAssassin requires a score of 5 before it flags something as spam. So if SPF_NEUTRAL SPF is only 1.2, there’s several other rules there which are firing.

So you might need to look into the cause of those too.

If you’re still having trouble, you can always edit the local.cf, and change “required_score” to a value higher than 5.
-Eric

i’ve seen that usually score is 5.2 but the messages go into spam folder, why?
thanks

neorf

That’s an excellent question! :wink:

If you look at the email headers, you should see one called “X-Spam-Status:” that contains a list of which SpamAssassin tests think the email looks like spam.

A score of 5.2 would indeed cause email to go into the spam folder – and you can use the X-Spam-Status header to figure out why SpamAssassin is thinking those emails look “spammy”.
-Eric