Let's Encrypt SSL certificate for default server name not able to be created

contabo basic VPS 6Gb memory
OS type and version AlmaLinux 9.3
Webmin version 2.105
Virtualmin version 7.10.0

Hi all,

Setting up a new server, and would like to get a LetEncrypt SSL cert working for the default server name so I don’t get warnings when accessing virtualmin control panel on port 10000.

The server resolves to the server name (blue.mydomain.com), i’ve created a virtual server of that name , and made it the default server. I can access virtualmin using the address blue.mydomain.com:10000 but I have to bypass the not secure warning in the browser.

When I go into the Manage Virtual Server, Setup SSL Certificate, I can see there is the self signed certificate there, but when I click Let’s Encrypt and request a certificate, I get the following error.

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Requesting a certificate for blue.mydomain.com and 4 more domains
An unexpected error occurred:
Error creating new order :: too many failed authorizations recently: see Failed Validation Limit - Let's Encrypt
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

Any pointers on where I should look. Other virtual servers have working Let’s Encrypt certs (automatically created when the virtual servers were setup).

Thanks

Hello,

You should wait for an hour and try again. The source of this issue is that either admin.mydomain.com, webmail.mydomain.com, autoconfig.mydomain.com, or other domains associated with the server do not have the correct DNS configured, causing Let’s Encrypt validation request to fail.

The domains associated with the server can be configured on the Manage Virtual Server ⇾ Setup SSL Certificate: Let’s Encrypt page. Start by requesting an SSL certificate for only mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com domains and take it from there.

Thanks Ilia,

I used just the main domain, none of the others, and it registered OK.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.