Jailkit broken caused of incompatible python & jailkit version in Ubuntu 20.04

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.6
Webmin version 2.021
Usermin version 1.861
Virtualmin version 7.5
Theme version 20.21
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

I’ve found that on Ubuntu 20.04.6 jailkit is broken.
Reason is the used python version and an outdated jailkit-package

For example:
I’d tried to run js_update -j <someJailroot> in the CLI, and got some errors:

If you change the code to a newer python syntax:

#       if (not config.has_key('hardlink')):
        if (not config.__contains__('hardlink')):

jk_update work again.

There are also other issues with other jk_ executables.

/sbin/jk_list 

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/sbin/jk_list", line 159, in <module>
    main()
  File "/sbin/jk_list", line 156, in main
    printResults(results,wide)
  File "/sbin/jk_list", line 92, in printResults
    results.sort()
TypeError: '<' not supported between instances of 'ListResult' and 'ListResult'

As lang as ubuntu not had upgraded the jailkit-package in their repositories, we might need to finde a workflow to fix this in the meantime

Why would you install an older version of jailkit? Jailkit version 2.19 is older than Ubuntu 20.04 by a year, so you had to have intentionally done that.

I’m sure if you had installed 2.23 you wouldn’t have had that issue.

Look at the ubuntu 20.04 package-list and you’ll see that you are wrong.
jailkit 2.21-2 is the one that is delivered with that distribution.

I didn’t installed any jailkit package no my own. It’s the one that ubuntu / virtualmin use by default.

Ummm…yeah.

But you had 2.19 installed and the current release is 2.23. So if you just set up that server, it should have had 2.23 on it. If you set that server up the day that Ubuntu 20.04 was released, it should have 2.21 on it.

What am I missing?

I see on ubuntu 20.04
on another server running ubuntu 22.04 I see
so I am guessing that :-
Ubuntu 20.04 should have version 2.21-2
Ubuntu 22.04 should have version 2.23-1

I have no problems with 2.21-2 on 20.04, where the op’s older version comes from IDK
@suther have you some apt problems ?

2.19 is wrong (and I don’t know where OP got it from, as we don’t provide jailkit packages for Ubuntu), but Ubuntu 20.04 does not have 2.23. OP should have jailkit version 2.21, and we haven’t had any bug reports about it, so I assume it works.

Ahh, you are right @Gomez_Adams , I have 2.19. Didn’t notice the difference … even if I do answer about 2.21 myself :flushed:

But I do wonder where I got this version from, as I don’t installed jailkit manually.

@jimr1 another strange thing… if I do apt-cache policy jailkit at the cli, I also get:

apt-cache policy jailkit
jailkit:
  Installed: 2.21-2
  Candidate: 2.21-2
  Version table:
 *** 2.21-2 500
        500 https://mirror.hetzner.com/ubuntu/packages focal/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.19-1 500
        500 http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt virtualmin-focal/main amd64 Packages

So I’ve looked into the Webmin-GUI again, and here you see the strange bug… see following gif as fun-fact:
jailkit_bugPeek 2023-04-12 11-16

So it seems I use 2.21, but the package-maintainer missed to change the version-number inside of the package ?!? :slight_smile:

But as described in my opening post, there are issues with 2.21 at my setup.
Can someone please check if the same issue in same environment exist at your side?

from my ubuntu 20.04-6 I see

and

I have no idea why you are not seeing what I’m seeing what do get returned if you run

apt list -a jailkit

?

@staff there appears to be a version of jailkit in the virtualmin repro is this where this is coming from ?

That’s an old repo. There is no jailkit package in current Virtualmin repos.

But, also, your OS provides a new package, and if you run apt install jailkit you will get the new package.

It’s still up to date:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.