Jailing FTP users to home directory

Hi again (I must be getting annoying),

I’ve just set in Webmin’s ProFTPD config to restrict users to their home directory. This works fine for top level virtual servers, but it’s when I use them on sub-servers is there a problem.

Logging in as domain administrator will jail me into /home/domainName - which is fine. However, when I create a subdomain ‘subdomain.domainName.com’ no administrative user is created. Presumably, this phantom user would get jailed in /home/domainName/domains/subdomain.domainName.com

Instead, I’ve had to manually create another user and do some funky chowning to get things working properly.

This has caused the only account available on that subdomain (even though I can use the master domain admin account, this is not the aim) to be jailed in /home/domainName/domains/subdomain.domainName.com/homes/username

Is there anyway to create / modify an administrative account such that it gets jailed in the subdomain root? (so it can access public_html!)

However, when I create a subdomain 'subdomain.domainName.com' no administrative user is created. Presumably, this phantom user would get jailed in /home/domainName/domains/subdomain.domainName.com

First up, let’s clarify terms: Virtualmin has no “subdomain” account type, by default. I’ll assume you mean you are creating a sub-server account which happens to have a subdomain name.

A sub-server isn’t supposed to get an administrative account because it already has one. The parent server administrative account is the administrative account for all of its sub-servers. If you want a different administrative account, you do not want a sub-server, you want a regular Virtual Server.

Domain names do not matter to Virtualmin, so a sub-domain does not need to be a sub-server account type, and if you want it to have a separate administrative account, it shouldn’t be. This is why we removed the sub-domain account type, by default, because it made people think a sub-domain needed to be some special type of account…when in reality, it’s just another domain name and Virtualmin couldn’t care less about domain names.