Issue with disk space for a virtual server

Hi,

I try to understand what is the problem is with the disk space for a Virtual Server.
On the Dashboard, I see that this Server is taking 2.07GB but when I check the Disk Usage, it’s only 1.05GB. I’ve browsed everywhere in the directory and I didn’t find which files could take another 1GB.
I tried to do a backup also before with a download link but I never saw any link anywhere after the end of the backup, even in the /tmp directory. Everything is empty.
I tried to search the file to download everywhere on the whole server and nothing…

Any thoughts?

Nobody has an idea…?

Databases owned by the domain also consume disk space.

And, if this is domain quotas (you’ve cut up the screenshots too much for me to understand what I’m looking at), it will include any files owned by the domain owner user as well as all users within that domain (who share a group with the domain) anywhere on the file system (though usually they would be in /home/domainname/homes.

There are a variety of tools you can use to figure out what’s going on with disk space. It’s worth getting familiar with find (which can find all files owned by a give user or group anywhere on the system), du (which shows disk usage for a given path).

Database is 55MB only and I already checked all the directories in the root of the domain name and like the screenshot shows, it’s only 1.05GB.
I’m sure there is a bug regarding to the Backup but there is nothing in /tmp/ and I never had any link to download the backup.

Please start new topics for different problems.

I just try to find what is the issue 1st. If it’s because of the Backup, I will open a new thread but for now, I don’t know, this is why I ask some help and to be redirect to the solution. It’s the only action I did after I saw the disk space.

Debian 10
Webmin version 2.021
Usermin version 1.861
Virtualmin version 7.7

It’s possibly related, but I don’t think it would be. Backups are created by the root user, so they aren’t subject to quotas. I would think they are independent problems, and I’m happy to try to help with both.

Ok thanks! So, how can I check where are the big files? I tried with the files manager but if you check my screenshots, I have the same result of 1.5GB for all the directory of this domain. I really don’t know where are the 500MB ish to reach 2.07GB.

As I mentioned, my usual tools for finding disk usage are du (which stands for “disk usage”) and find, which can find files owned by a given user or group anywhere on the system.

For example, to get a general idea of where disk usage is happening, I usually start with:

du -xh --max-depth=2 /

That may or may not provide clues, depending on how much stuff is on your system.

I still don’t know what your screenshots are showing, but you can find out how much data is in the domain home with:

du -xh --max-depth=2 /home/domainname

The --max-depth parameter sets how deeply to show subdirs (but the disk usage in the subdirs it doesn’t show is included in its parent, so you still see an accurate picture of usage, you just don’t have to read so much).

And, to find all files owned by a domain:

find / -user domain-user-name

Or use -group domain-group-name to find all files that would be subject to the domain quota (again, users in a domain use disk space of the domain, because domain quotas are group quotas and they are in the domain group).

After few days, I saw that the quota of this Domain Name is back to normal and I didn’t do anything. It’s now 1.14 GiB instead of the 2.07 GiB. Very weird.

Thread can be closed. Thanks @Joe for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.