Is Virtualmin Framed Theme still supported and being developed?

Not sure if this should be in the Webmin category or here …

I have toyed with the Authentic Theme a little, perhaps I just need to spend more time with it, but I feel so comfortable with the Framed Theme and am trying to learn of its status.

AS … on what seems to be its new home, https://github.com/virtualmin/virtual-server-theme, it says at the top:

This repository has been archived by the owner on Nov 29, 2022. It is now read-only.

which worries me — has it been retired??

I posted back in November – How to download latest Virtualmin Framed Theme? – regarding discovering that GitHub repo and newer versions than I see in the Virtualmin repo, but did not receive any responses :slight_smile:

thoughts anyone?

Verne

So…yes, it has been retired and it has not been in active development for many years, but it is not completely dead.

As I understand it, the virtualmin-framed-theme has been merged with the gray-theme in Webmin itself (they were very similar, already, sharing almost all code, icons, etc., the framed them just had the Virtualmin dashboard and some other Virtualmin-related extras).

That said, you should consider it deprecated. I consider it deprecated. We haven’t added new features the old theme in years, and we will not add new features to it. We just don’t have the resources to maintain two themes that share no code, especially when one of them is, frankly, a decade out of date, design-wise.

If something is wrong with Authentic theme that makes it not work for you, you should let us know, as it’s the only theme we’ll support going forward (and the only theme we’ve worked on for the past several years). It’s likely the gray theme will stick around as-is in Webmin for a few more years, but we’re not making any promises, and we’re definitely not putting any resources into it. We don’t have resources to put into it. We won’t actively break it, but we won’t improve it, either, and you’re already missing so many nice things by not using Authentic.

Authentic is just so much better, I have a hard time coming up with any reason to keep using the old theme, honestly. There’s nothing it does better than Authentic, that I am aware of.

1 Like

@Joe,

Good thing @Ilia joined the team, and brought the theme out of the “dark ages” :slight_smile:

Moral of the story, never leave the development of a “theme” to the programmers…

Heh heh (just kidding – it was decent coming from a Perl monkey)

Yes, it will stick and also, it was renamed to Frame Theme. By the way, I recently made a few improvements to it by replacing old accordions and improving icons. If you the great lover of old Virtualmin Framed Theme you will love Framed Theme even more.

This requires Webmin 2.013 and higher.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.