First post here. Great looking community!
CONTEXT: I’m brand new to *min, but an old hand online (I registered the 43rd domain in history… yeah, a Papa Pete with kids and grandkids ) For over 20 years, I’ve helped nurture good use of modern tech around the world, mostly in the “non profit” space (ie we get paid in joy far more than money )
Our existing email server is Postfix+++ running (crawling) on an old Mac Mini server. Some attributes:
- Many domains, few mailboxes
- SPF, DKIM, DMARC, Graylisting, sometimes even a custom log-based attack filter. Someday soon, ARC support – a growing requirement.
- NO webhosting here for ANY of the domains (we do have free hosting elsewhere, eg dreamhost gives free accounts to nonprofits )
- In fact, our primary domain is quite unusual, and is a useful honeypot for detecting spam:
- we use the domain ONLY for infrastructure (including email server name)
- we NEVER send email from that domain. Ever. (SPF record: v=spf1 -all ***
Based on what I’ve learned so far of WebMin/VirtualMin…
- Before actually trying it, I was under the impression that VirtualMin is pretty much a necessity if multiple domains are involved.
- But now I am learning Vmin… and perhaps this entire GUI Admin App???.. assumes a use case of “Web server - YES // Email server – maybe”, Ie it is pretty much presumed that web servers are a necessity???
THUS MY QUESTION: Is VirtualMin necessary? desirable? if I have zero need to host web content on these domains? Should I look seriously at using just WebMin?
*** We were being tagged as spammers, until we turned on SPF/DKIM/DMARC. Suddenly some overseas spammers discovered a light shining in their faces: the were sending zillions of emails a day in our name.