Is it normal to have so many DNS NS entries on a Virtual Server?

It’s possible that something I did in the past made things happen in an irregular way and I merely need to delete benign DNS entries, also, I’m ignorant because I never looked at the DNS sections when the system was pristine, but here is the scenario I see right now.

• I have 1 physical server, its name is srv1.
  • I have 3 top-level Virtual Servers representing the 3 FQDN’s I own; InsidersCommunity.com, BusinessName.com, and PublicCommunity.com.
  • I used InsidersCommunity.com as the so-to-speak base FQDN for the Virtualmin set-up.
  • Each top-level Virtual Server has the following entries listed:
@	IN	SOA	srv1.InsidersCommunity.com. root.srv1.InsidersCommunity.com. (
			38400 )
@	IN	NS	srv1.InsidersCommunity.com.
@	IN	NS	InsidersCommunity.com.
@	IN	NS	BusinessName.com.
@	IN	NS	PublicCommunity.com.

It feels like it’s wrong to look at the
Virtualmin => PublicCommunity.com => Server Configuration => DNS Records
and see NS entries for the other FQDN’s (InsidersCommunity.com and BusinessName.com).

Any insight to how BIND works, in this case, would be greatly appreciated.

Go to a DNS test site to see what’s wrong (intodns.com is a good one for IPv4). Enter all your domains to see what nameservers they’re using. Replace the NS records in Virtualmin to what’s reported. It looks like you are hosting DNS at a couple different services.

Start off by running the install wizard in Virtualmin/System Settings and enter the correct nameserver for your server hostname. Then observe changes made to DNS records. You should see a change to the SOA record and NS for your server hostname. Edit the other NS records as needed.

BIND server doesn’t figure into your DNS hosting since other services are doing it. Virtualmin just needs to know which NS to use so that it can point your domains to their nameservers.

1 Like

Only you know what’s right. We have no control or insight into your DNS hosting decisions. :wink:

Those values come from Server Templates->BIND DNS Domain->Additional manually configured nameservers (it gets set during the setup wizard run). You told Virtualmin to put these NS records in your zones…so, you can tell it to do it differently.

1 Like

The method outlined here might be a better way to configure your domains for Virtualmin:

The DNS records for a virtual server then would look like:

@	IN	SOA	dns1.indiax.com. root.dns1.indiax.com. (
			38400 )
@	IN	NS	dns1.indiax.com.
@	IN	NS	dns2.indiax.com.
calport.com.	IN	A	13.233.12.13
www.calport.com.	IN	A	13.233.12.13
ftp.calport.com.	IN	A	13.233.12.13
m.calport.com.	IN	A	13.233.12.13
localhost.calport.com.	IN	A	127.0.0.1
calport.com.	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 a mx include:amazonses.com ip4:13.233.12.13 ip4:13.235.160.222 -all"
@	IN	CAA	0 issuewild letsencrypt.org
mail.calport.com.	IN	A	13.235.160.222
calport.com.	IN	MX	5 mail.calport.com.
1 Like

That explains a lot. I had something go wrong last year that was a Murphy’s Law level shitstorm. My Nextcloud server was requiring a PHP edition that Ubuntu didn’t offer. I followed the instructions from the PHP makers to add the repository and also for Apache too. I routinely run that autoremove command thinking it just dumps old Linux headers. Instead, it removed a shitload of software including BIND. Thus I ran things in the struggle to restore my system which were supposed to only run before having all those Virtual Servers. I never added those to the Templates knowingly, but I did add them erroneously.

Very interesting advice. Thanks.

I agree. Thanks for a great exemplar for me to follow.

This is what makes DNS so much fun. Ask one question and if three nerds chime in there will be three different answers.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.