Installing Virtualmin on an existing apache2 webserver with multiple virtual hosts in production

Hello everyone,

I have searched the forum for an answer to this, but could not find what I am looking for.

I have an excisting webserver with multiple apache2 virtual hosts in production.

I am using Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS fully updated from the Ubuntu respositories.

I am using webmin 1.480 and installed the latest version of Virtualmin: Version 3.71.gpl, master admin mode via webmin.

I am running into the following problem:

“The Suexec command on your system is configured to only run scripts under /var/www, but the Virtualmin base directory is /home. CGI and PHP scripts run as domain owners will not be executed.”

I have read that I need to recompile suexec so that it uses /home as its base directory.

Here are my questions:

1. If I recompile apache how will this affect my existing virtual hosts.

2. Can I run the virtualmin script instead of installing via webmin and how will this affect my existing virtual hosts.

3. what is the best way of installing virtualmin GPL on my current production webserver, I want to minimize the downtime of my virtual hosts.

Thanks!

1. If I recompile apache how will this affect my existing virtual hosts.

It shouldn’t affect them at all if it’s recompiled with all the correct settings :slight_smile: However, I’m not a fan of compiling things myself, I find that it makes maintenance to be a real pain.

2. Can I run the virtualmin script instead of installing via webmin and how will this affect my existing virtual hosts.

I wouldn’t, that’s very likely to break things.

The install script is designed to work well on a fresh system, not a live system.

3. what is the best way of installing virtualmin GPL on my current production webserver, I want to minimize the downtime of my virtual hosts.

If your current sites aren’t using suexec, there’s no reason to leave that enabled, and that’ll make that error you’re getting go away.

You can disable suexec by going into System Settings -> Server Templates -> Default -> Apache Website, and disable “Automatically add appropriate SuExec directive?”.

Also, for some additional information on installing manually, you may want to take a gander here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/installation/manual

You may be able to skip the first few sections there, but the parts on configuring the various daemons may be helpful.

-Eric