Installed software warning on Alma

alma linux 8.*
web/virtualmin 7.3.4

apache and bind are apparently pre-installed on Alma 8 (no updates)

ATTENTION!

Pre-installed software detected: BIND, Apache

what to do?

well, looks like there is no choice - if i dnf remove/autoremove httpd and bind the installer exits…

Phase 3 of 4: Installation
Installing EPEL release package                                              OK
Enabling PowerTools package repository                                       OK
Cleaning up software repo metadata                                           OK
Checking and installing system package updates                               ER
[ERROR] Something went wrong with the previous command. Exiting.

it appears the only way web/virtualmin can be installed on Alma, from what i’m seeing, is to install and update the OS before running the installer

1. install Alma
  2. dnf upgrade fails for me if this isn’t done first:
    rpm --import https://repo.almalinux.org/almalinux/RPM-GPG-KEY-AlmaLinux
  3. dnf upgrade (else install script fails)
  4. run the install script and ignore the apache/bind installed software warning

Do you select Minimal Install when preparing to install the OS?

yessir
[junk to satisfy 12 char post limit]

oh wait, sorry - NO i don’t - i assumed you were referring to the virtualmin installer in which case, yes, -m

You should use minimal version of AlmaLinux! Also, it’s better to use AlmaLinux 9 rather than 8 in 2024.

1 Like

BIND and Apache are absolutely not in a base install of AlmaLinux.

But, they probably won’t hurt anything. You probably have some other problem, you’d need to check the log for clues, probably.

And, yes, you should be installing on AlmaLinux 9.

bind and apache are installed by default on the image my host offers, and they offer only alma 8.x at the moment (they are a very good hosting co. but they cater more to managed servers - they are working on adding more images and allowing uploads)

the only way i could get the web/virtualmin install script to work was to do as i outlined above

We always advise against complicating the process. Although there are dozens of ways to make things work, even on a running system that has undergone 25 (so to say) distro upgrades, we cannot provide support for such configurations.

We recommend a straightforward solution ---- use a clean Grade A Linux distro and run the virtualmin-install.sh script. That’s it! We’ve invested hundreds of hours in automating the Virtualmin installer so you don’t have to.

1 Like

You can uninstall all pre-installed software packages from running virtual machine. Back to minimal system and after start virtualmin installation again.

of course, but i didn’t have a choice

tried it, didn’t work - the only way i got v-min to install was as i mentioned

anyway, problem solved - i moved to another host and installed Alma 9.x minimal on a KVM - OpenVZ can cause problems, as i discovered

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.