Installation Phase 2 of 3 Error: Transaction Test Error

Error: Transaction test error:
file /usr/lib64/libmariadb.so.3 conflicts between attempted installs of MariaDB-shared-10.5.2-1.el8.x86_64 and mariadb-connector-c-3.0.7-1.el8.x86_64

I can’t get Virtualmin to install on CentOS8. It keeps failing at Phase 2 of the installation with a transaction test error.

VPS Setup
CentOS 8
MariaDB 10.5
Nginx 1.19
PHP 7.4

Thanks.

These issues are being addressed now and hopefully will be fixed within next 24 hours.

1 Like

I don’t think this is one of the known issues, though, @Ilia? Are you aware of a MariaDB related issue?

1 Like

@Ilia? Are you aware of a MariaDB related issue?

No, I don’t. We’re about to fix all current issues first and only then move to checking other issues.

Error: Transaction test error: file /usr/lib64/libmariadb.so.3 conflicts between attempted installs of MariaDB-shared-10.5.2-1.el8.x86_64 and mariadb-connector-c-3.0.7-1.el8.x86_64

Please make sure that you are installing it on fresh, minimum CentOS 8 image.

1 Like

Yes, it’s being installed on a fresh installation of Centos 8.

I installed in this order: CentOS 8 > NGINX > MariaDB > PHP 7 > Webmin > VirtualMin
That’s how I got the mariadb error.

I tried it also in a different order: CentOS 8 > NGINX > PHP 7 > Webmin > VirtualMin > MariaDB
When I tried installing Virtualmin BEFORE installing MariaDB, but I ran into another issue where I got a PREIN error.

for example…

Importing GPG key 0x60D62A6B:
Userid : “Virtualmin, Inc. (Package signing key for Virtualmin 6) <security@virtualmin”
Fingerprint: E36F 0664 7D8E BD2B E364 2BCE D9F9 0107 60D6 2A6B

Error in PREIN scriptlet in rpm package wbm-virtualmin-nginx-ssl
Error in PREIN scriptlet in rpm package wbm-virtualmin-awstats
Error: Transaction failed

…but if I install it --force, it completes, sometimes.

I found a workaround for the PREIN scriptlet error by manually installing Virtualmin from within Webmin.

Webmin > Webmin Configuration > Webmin Modules

Select Install from HTTP option:

1. virtual-server-6.10.gpl.wbm.gz (https://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-6.10.gpl.wbm.gz)
  2. virtual-server-theme-9.5.wbt.gz (https://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-theme-9.5.wbt.gz)

Then go to Webmin Configurations > Webmin Themes

Select Virtualmin as the “Default tab after logging into Webmin”

Then Save > Logout > Log Back In and the Post-Installation Wizard came up.

For good measure, I re-ran the Virtualmin automatic install from console (sh ./install.sh) just in case any configurations were missing.

Then I installed MariaDB with no problems.

I think @sungdze that @Ilia means Virtualmin should be installed on a fresh CentOS 8 installation, without anything else installed between CentOS 8 and Virtualmin.

Hence CentOS 8 > Virtualmin instead of CentOS 8 > NGINX > MariaDB > PHP 7 > Webmin > VirtualMin or even CentOS 8 > NGINX > PHP 7 > Webmin > VirtualMin > MariaDB. Could you try that and let us know how it goes?

1 Like

Yes, I understood what he meant, but I was simply writing out what my installation process was when I got the error. I thought, maybe, it’d help them in finding a solution to the bug.

And the reason why I did it that way (nginx/php before virtualmin), was because I wanted a certain version of those programs. And I didn’t want to have to do the whole uninstall, uninstall related dependencies, upgrade and install, and etc etc…

But although they suggest to install it on a fresh install, I think a bug that occurs should at the very least be let known. Whether they fix or not, well, that’s up to the dev team. If there is no fix, that’s fine.

frankly… I love Virtualmin and what it can do with such a low resource footprint. I just wish I knew how to code better so I could contribute more.

1 Like

On fresh CentOS 7 relase today July 16 near noon CET

Welcome to the Virtualmin GPL installer, version 6.2.0
////…
▣▣□ Phase 2 of 3: Installation
Installing EPEL release package [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing yum-utils [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Enabling extras repository [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing scl-utils [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Install Software Collections release package [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing PHP7 [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Marking ‘Virtualmin LAMP Stack’ for install [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Marking ‘Virtualmin Core’ for install [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing dependencies and system packages [ERROR] Failed with error: 1
[ ✘ ]

[ERROR] Something went wrong. Exiting.
[ERROR] The last few log entries were:
Spin pid is: 1741
Marking ‘Virtualmin Core’ for install: Success.
Spin pid is: 1977
Operating system is CentOS Linux
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.Wb5F5L: line 5: /etc/webmin/stop: No such file or directory
Webmin install complete. You can now login to https://mynameserver:10000/
as root with your root password.
This Webmin module depends on the module virtual-server, which is
not installed on your system.
error: %pre(wbm-virtualmin-awstats-2:5.8-1.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Error in PREIN scriptlet in rpm package 2:wbm-virtualmin-awstats-5.8-1.noarch
error: wbm-virtualmin-awstats-2:5.8-1.noarch: install failed
Installing dependencies and system packages: [2020-07-16 14:07:54 CEST] [ERROR] Failed with error: 1
[2020-07-16 14:07:54 CEST] [ERROR] Something went wrong. Exiting.
[2020-07-16 14:07:54 CEST] [ERROR] The last few log entries were:
(stops there) with prompt

Also, “https://mynameserver:10000/” is hostname and not fullyqualified domain name
I did checked /etc/hosts before and after installation
Before reboot, I could go to virtualmin, not after reboot

This is hopefully fixed with the latest update to the various virtualmin-* packages.

Yes, this issue has been resolved! Thanks again, Joe! :wink: