Install virtualmin on ubuntu 20.04

Sorry for open ticket again. Please let us know when will be release on ubuntu 20.04?

Hi, Iā€™m new with this and want to set up a Server on and Lenovo ThinCenter M93
How I understood the installation script that installs LAMP, Web & Virtualmin in download section is not working fore for 20.04.
But the modules work on 20.04 when installed on 18.04 and updates to 20.04.

So is there a way to install the LAMP Packard separately and then Web & Virtualmin?

Or is there really no possibility to install Web & Virtualmin on 20.04 even though it works after update from 18.04?!!

Dear Virtualmin Dev team,

Recently bought a new Intel NUC 10 Kit and installed Ubuntu Desktop 20.04.
I am also waiting for the 20.04 support. My family is waiting for me to build our mail server.

Could you please prioritize this?
Please please please? :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Emre

@asemev Nice, that doesnā€™t seem to be a supported OS for that hardware.

@WNYmathGuy Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you mean Ubuntu 20.04 on my NUC 10 is not supported? Its supported. Everything works right out of the box. LAN, WIFI, BT, everything. I have no issues whatsoever. I have the core i5 model and it works like a beast. Love itā€¦

Yes, I didnā€™t know exactly what that was so I DuckDuckGoā€™ed it.

Unless you meant something different their page said only Windblows 10 64bit was supported. Although, thatā€™s probably the only OS they will answer questions about, not the only one it will run.

Yes right, their page says only Windows 10, but ubuntu 20.04 works flawlessly out of the box.

So now all i need is virtualmin script for ubuntu 20.04.

Could the developers please comment roughly when they target to release it?

It is such an AWESOME software (Webmin and Virtualmin). I tried it with a linode VM and my mail server worked perfectly. I could send and receive emails perfectly and it took max 1 hour to set it all up. Now i really want to install it on my own server at home. :slight_smile:

Many thanks guys.

I suppose that putting the Ubuntu 18.04 on and later upgrading it to 20.04 doesnā€™t sound appealing to you.

Unfortunately not, as i spent so much time already installing many things on my current setup. :frowning:

It will be a good while before 20.04 settles down. Right now I canā€™t even get 18.04 OOTB install working with the virtualmin installer and stable. I have been working with Webmin/Virtualmin for almost 10 years.

Cheers
Spart

Oh geeze, thatā€™s odd. About a week or so ago I just did a fresh install of 18.04 and Virtualmin on a machine because I had to see what my BIND should look like in its initial state to solve a problem I created about siz months ago.

I had no problems whatsoever doing the 18.04 with minimal install and Virtualmin script for the community edition.

1 Like

Maybe the key to your success was minimal install. All seemed stable until restore of a test domain then all went to s**t. Noticed dovecot issues with roundcube then after reboot mysqld not running and no /var/run/mysqld directory etc. Would not start.

gave up went back to base server to start again thinking I had missed something.

I am now on iteration 3. Clean 18.04.4 server fully updated. Simply running ssh server. Zero boot errors.

Now raised a pro ticket for support to get this working. We need to move all domains from a 14.04 virtualmin gpl sever asap.

Issue already in this forum but cannot wait for community support on this project hence pro ticket and new license for the target 18.04 system.

1 Like

hello Devā€™s

We are still want to know the release date.

It wouldnt be very smart to give a release date and that for multiple reasons.
You just have to trust them that they are doing it as fast as possible and as slow as needed.

Hi Iā€™m totally new but I cannot believe that it should be impossible to install Virtualmin on 20.04.

What to follow this:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-webmin-on-ubuntu-20-04
and afterwards this:
http://www.webmin.com/vdownload.html
will this work?

Hi,

dont need to use this https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-webmin-on-ubuntu-20-04. use this link
http://www.webmin.com/deb.html stating with Using the Webmin APT repository. Also remove # in sources.list file. Yerterday i was installed on ubuntu 20.10 development branch.

For second link.May or may not be work. May not be work because in virtualmin there are scripts that manage the other programs.

I feel compelled to rewrite this for you @Witzker.

Hi, Iā€™m new to Virtualminā€™s Forum but I found a well-written set of instructions for installing Webmin on Ubuntu 20.04, and then on their own site, instructions for manually adding Virtualmin to the system.

I noticed that article you found on linuxconfig.org was posted long after this thread was started. I also noticed it was specifically only installing Webmin which is a tiny Linux GUI management system compared to Virtualmin. Virtualmin is so magnificent and intricate that they strongly insist it is installed on a clean system so it shouldnā€™t even have a bunch of Linux packages or Webmin put on it yet. Even the first paragraph on Virtualmin | Webmin is telling you to follow the link to the install script method, which is not yet prepped for Ubuntu 20.04.

You might find a way to make it work without a clean system but they do 1-on-1 tech support for people running Virtualmin, and itā€™s hard to tell if the admin made things not work or if Virtualmin did when we start doing non-standard stuff.

Also, also, New releases of complex systems like and operating system have an early period of rapid change and development as new bugs get reported from people trying to use it. If the Virtualmin team has to develop and re-develop after every Ubuntu 20.04 change, they will basically be under a DoS attack. I, for one, donā€™t want their team overloaded.

1 Like

Hello

Please help me to solve these error

Error: Virtualmin cannt configure firewalld

No. Unless you are an expert with years of experience configuring Virtualmin and all of the software it manages you should not attempt a manual installation. Youā€™ll need to wait until the automated install supports Ubuntu 20.04.

No. You have a completely unconfigured system. Youā€™re dozens of steps away from a working system, and hundreds of steps from a nicely working one that looks like everybody elseā€™s. We canā€™t get you to a nicely working system in any reasonable amount of time/effort. Wait for install.sh support for 20.04 or install on 18.04.

20.04 beta support is coming this week.

Thanks Joe.

Please inform us here when beta is released