Install virtualmin on ubuntu 20.04

Thanks Joe I wanted to make sure that it will work on 2020 before we start switching our servers and this message was very confusing as we haven’t seen that before when we updated the last LTS versions.

Just because some containers / VM were Ubuntu 14.04 … upgraded to 16.04… upgraded to 18.04…
Sometime it can be fine to start from scratch on new and clean bases, and not on “trial and approximations” since several years…
Security and recommanded settngs have evolved too…
:smiley:
But ok, I have a recent VPS, installed from Ubuntu 18.04.
I will just upgrade it to 20.04.
Thanks

1 Like

:slight_smile:

No! Webmin is still looking for python package being available but it’s not on Ubuntu 20.04. This is why I created a dummy package called python which just creates a symlink to /usr/bin/python3 and satisfies current Webmin package dependency upon installation.

@Jamie made a fix after we discussed it internally. I expect that new Webmin 1.950 will not fail on missing python package on Ubuntu 20.04 upon installation.

2 Likes

Definitely do a full back-up of all your stuff then!

1 Like

Looking to setup a new VPS soon, I’d like to wait for 20.04 support…just wondering if there was a timeline, even a vague one? Thanks!!

# Currently supported systems:
supported="    CentOS/RHEL Linux 6, 7, and 8 on x86_64
    Debian 8, 9, and 10 on i386 and amd64
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and 18.04 LTS on i386 and amd64"

When is 20.04 LTS support coming as it is actually running fine on it but it really does not make sense to always have to install Ubuntu 18.04 than Virtualmin and then upgrade to 20.04

We have new customers who like to get 20.04 and Virtualmin !

When you update to 20.04 an already existing installation than everything works fine but Virtualmin does not receive any updates as the repositories for “focal” are not available and those added for bionic have been disabled

|virtualmin-bionic/main/#/disabled/on/upgrade/to/focal|No|http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt|
|---|---|---|
|virtualmin-universal/main/#/disabled/on/upgrade/to/focal|No|http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt|
1 Like

I would rather wait for few months with 20.04 to give canonicals time to catch usual bugs… whats the rush about it anyway? anything special for server side in 20.04?

1 Like

Re-enable the universal repo. It is the same across all distros/versions. It includes all of the Virtualmin/Webmin modules.

Thanks Joe - so the other one is actually not needed - good so!

It’s not needed for upgrades to Virtualmin modules. If upgrades to distro specific packages are needed, then obviously it would be needed (but that’s rare on Debian/Ubuntu).

The next Webmin release will remove the dependency on the python package on Debian and Ubuntu.

3 Likes

Sorry for open ticket again. Please let us know when will be release on ubuntu 20.04?

Hi, I’m new with this and want to set up a Server on and Lenovo ThinCenter M93
How I understood the installation script that installs LAMP, Web & Virtualmin in download section is not working fore for 20.04.
But the modules work on 20.04 when installed on 18.04 and updates to 20.04.

So is there a way to install the LAMP Packard separately and then Web & Virtualmin?

Or is there really no possibility to install Web & Virtualmin on 20.04 even though it works after update from 18.04?!!

Dear Virtualmin Dev team,

Recently bought a new Intel NUC 10 Kit and installed Ubuntu Desktop 20.04.
I am also waiting for the 20.04 support. My family is waiting for me to build our mail server.

Could you please prioritize this?
Please please please? :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Emre

@asemev Nice, that doesn’t seem to be a supported OS for that hardware.

@WNYmathGuy Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you mean Ubuntu 20.04 on my NUC 10 is not supported? Its supported. Everything works right out of the box. LAN, WIFI, BT, everything. I have no issues whatsoever. I have the core i5 model and it works like a beast. Love it…

Yes, I didn’t know exactly what that was so I DuckDuckGo’ed it.

Unless you meant something different their page said only Windblows 10 64bit was supported. Although, that’s probably the only OS they will answer questions about, not the only one it will run.

Yes right, their page says only Windows 10, but ubuntu 20.04 works flawlessly out of the box.

So now all i need is virtualmin script for ubuntu 20.04.

Could the developers please comment roughly when they target to release it?

It is such an AWESOME software (Webmin and Virtualmin). I tried it with a linode VM and my mail server worked perfectly. I could send and receive emails perfectly and it took max 1 hour to set it all up. Now i really want to install it on my own server at home. :slight_smile:

Many thanks guys.

I suppose that putting the Ubuntu 18.04 on and later upgrading it to 20.04 doesn’t sound appealing to you.

Unfortunately not, as i spent so much time already installing many things on my current setup. :frowning: