install.sh hangs at quotas

I have 2 same SliceHost VPS, both Clean CentOS5 installed.
One month ago, I have installed Virtualmin using install.sh for one of my VPS and completed :slight_smile:

Now I am trying to install Virtualmin for another VPS using install.sh too, but install hangs.

INFO - Installing Virtualmin and all related packages now using the command:
INFO - yum -y -d 2 install virtualmin-base
ā€¦in progress, please waitā€¦
|chcon: canā€™t apply partial context to unlabeled file /usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin
chcon: canā€™t apply partial context to unlabeled file /var/lib/awstats
\WARNING: getfile: daily-6689.cdiff not found on remote server (IP: 194.47.250.218)
WARNING: getpatch: Canā€™t download daily-6689.cdiff from database.clamav.net
\WARNING: getfile: daily-6689.cdiff not found on remote server (IP: 194.47.250.218)
|WARNING: getfile: daily-6689.cdiff not found on remote server (IP: 64.142.100.50)
WARNING: Incremental update failed, trying to download daily.cvd
-Enabling quotas on filesystem for /home

This "Enabling quotas" hanging for hoursā€¦
Are there any script change on install.sh recentry?
I have completed setup one month ago, so I wonder why install fails now.

install.sh doesnā€™t really do much that could cause problems. virtualmin-base is where all the hard work occurs, and it has changed a few times in the past couple of months. I havenā€™t seen any bug reports, however.

The daily-*.cdiff stuff is harmless. Itā€™s just clamav trying and failing to update its database. Next run of freshclam will fix it. And the chcon messages are also harmlessā€¦just an selinux complaint, though I should look into my awstats package to make sure itā€™s setting the contexts correctly for all files.

Iā€™m guessing maybe remounting disks is freaking out because it is a virtualized system. Is there anything else interesting in the last few lines of virtualmin-install.log?

Note that the quotas enabling stage of the installation is actually at the very endā€¦if it made it that far, your system is probably ready for work. Quotas may have failed to work (quotas on VPS systems are often trickier than usual, because the quotas may need to be enabled a level higher than Virtualmin has access to), but everything else should be fine.

Thank you for your advice. After hang in quota, I shut down install.sh using ctrl+c, but virtualmin seems fine.

Is there any way to skip quota during install? I donā€™t want to such a error-end.

Iā€™ll see about adding a timeout for all individual stages of the installer, so that if anything takes more than a few minutes, itā€™ll issue a warning and skip that step. Each configuration step is already within an eval section, so a failure doesnā€™t halt operation or result in a ā€œfailedā€ message at the end of the processā€¦but if it never fails, itā€™s a bit of a problem. :wink:

> Iā€™ll see about adding a timeout for all individual stages of the installer

Yes. I think it is good solution to solve this issue, and will be important for VPS user. Thanks! :smiley:

Hi Joe,

Had this even been implemented? Virtualmin installation script stuck at the following point for me:

root@ns1:/root#
./install.sh

Welcome to the Virtualmin GPL installer, version 1.0.9

WARNING:

The installation is quite stable and functional when run on a freshly
installed supported Operating System.

If you have existing websites, email users, or if you manually installed
Virtualmin via a Webmin ā€˜wbmā€™ module, you are likely to run into problems.
Please read the Virtualmin Administrators Guide before proceeding if
your system is not a freshly installed and supported OS.

This script is not intended to update your system! It should only be
used to perform your initial Virtualmin installation. If you have previously
run the Virtualmin installer, you can perform upgrades and updates from within
Virtualmin itself, or using your systemā€™s package manager. Once Virtualmin is
installed, you never need to run this script again.

The systems currently supported by install.sh are:
CentOS and RHEL 5-6 on i386 and x86_64
Scientific Linux 6 on i386 and x86_64
Debian 6.0 on i386 and amd64
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and 10.04 LTS, and 12.04 LTS on i386 and amd64
Amazon Linux 2012.03 on i386 and x86_64
FreeBSD 7.0 and 8 on i386 and amd64

If your OS is not listed above, this script will fail. More details
about the systems supported by the script can be found here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/os-support.html

Continue? (y/n) y
Checking for HTTP clientā€¦found /usr/bin/curl -s -O
Checking for perlā€¦found /usr/bin/perl
Loading log4sh logging libraryā€¦
INFO - Started installation log in /root/virtualmin-install.log
INFO - Checking for fully qualified hostnameā€¦
INFO - Hostname OK: fully qualified as ns1.mysite.com
INFO - Installing serial number and license key into /etc/virtualmin-license
INFO - Loading OS selection libraryā€¦
INFO - Download of http://software.virtualmin.com/lib/oschooser.pl Succeeded.
INFO - Loading OS listā€¦
INFO - Download of http://software.virtualmin.com/lib/os_list.txt Succeeded.
INFO - Operating system name: CentOS Linux
INFO - Operating system version: 6
INFO - Configuring package manager for CentOS Linux 6ā€¦
INFO - Disabling SELinux during installationā€¦
INFO - Download of http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/rhel/6/x86_64/virtualmin-release-latest.noarch.rpm Succeeded.
warning: virtualmin-release-latest.noarch.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID a0bdbcf9: NOKEY
Running updatedb so locate worksā€¦this will take a little while.
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.BffCaN: line 12: updatedb: command not found
Attempting to import various system RPM-GPG-KEY filesā€¦Errors may occur,
if youā€™ve already imported them. It is safe to ignore these errors.
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.BffCaN: line 39: locate: command not found
INFO - Succeeded.
INFO - Installing dependencies using command: /usr/bin/yum -y -d 2 install bind bind-utils caching-nameserver httpd postfix spamassassin procmail perl-DBD-Pg perl-DBD-MySQL quota iptables openssl python mailman subversion mysql mysql-server mysql-devel postgresql postgresql-server rh-postgresql rh-postgresql-server logrotate webalizer php php-xml php-gd php-imap php-mysql php-odbc php-pear php-pgsql php-snmp php-xmlrpc php-mbstring mod_perl mod_python cyrus-sasl dovecot spamassassin mod_dav_svn cyrus-sasl-gssapi mod_ssl ruby ruby-devel rubygems perl-XML-Simple perl-Crypt-SSLeay
|Warning: RPMDB altered outside of yum.
INFO - /usr/bin/yum -y -d 2 install bind bind-utils caching-nameserver httpd postfix spamassassin procmail perl-DBD-Pg perl-DBD-MySQL quota iptables openssl python mailman subversion mysql mysql-server mysql-devel postgresql postgresql-server rh-postgresql rh-postgresql-server logrotate webalizer php php-xml php-gd php-imap php-mysql php-odbc php-pear php-pgsql php-snmp php-xmlrpc php-mbstring mod_perl mod_python cyrus-sasl dovecot spamassassin mod_dav_svn cyrus-sasl-gssapi mod_ssl ruby ruby-devel rubygems perl-XML-Simple perl-Crypt-SSLeay: Succeeded.
INFO - Succeeded.
INFO - Installing Virtualmin and all related packages now using the command:
INFO - yum clean all
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto
Cleaning repos: base extras updates virtualmin virtualmin-universal
Cleaning up Everything
Cleaning up list of fastest mirrors
0 delta-package files removed, by presto
INFO - yum -y -d 2 install virtualmin-base
/

Having waited for quite too long I decided to follow Ericā€™s advice on http://www.virtualmin.com/node/16254#comment-71963 and after re-checking configuration got:

Checking Configuration The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active .. Your system has 31.33 GB of memory, which is at or above the Virtualmin recommended minimum of 256 MB. BIND DNS server is installed, and the system is configured to use it.

Mail server Postfix is installed and configured.

Your Postfix version does not support per-domain outgoing IP addresses.

Apache is installed.

The following PHP versions are available : 5.3.3 (/usr/bin/php-cgi)

Webalizer is installed.

MySQL is installed and running.

Logrotate is installed.

Using network interface eth0 for virtual IPs.

IPv6 addresses are available, using interface eth0.

Default IP address for virtual servers is xxx.xxx.xxx.xx.

Default IP address is set to xxx.xxx.xxx.xx, which matches the detected external address.

Quotas are not enabled on the filesystem /home which contains home directories under /home and email files under /home. Quota editing has been disabled.

Shell /bin/false for FTP users is not included in /etc/shells, which may prevent FTP access.

All commands needed to create and restore backups are installed.

The selected package management and update systems are installed OK.

ā€¦ your system is ready for use by Virtualmin.
Updating all Webmin users with new settingsā€¦
ā€¦ done

Updating Virtualmin library pre-load settings ā€¦
ā€¦ done

Updating status collection job ā€¦
ā€¦ done

Is my Virtualmin setup ok or not?

Thanks!

By the way, the last lines of my ā€˜virtualmin-install.logā€™ are:

Running Transaction Installing : webmin-1.620-1.noarch 1/30 Operating system is CentOS Linux Webmin install complete. You can now login to https://ns1.mysite.com:10000/ as root with your root password. Installing : wbm-virtual-server-3.99.gpl-1.noarch 2/30 virtual-server Installing : usermin-1.540-1.noarch 3/30 Operating system is CentOS Linux Usermin install complete. You can now login to https://ns1.mysite.com:20000/ as any user on your system. Installing : 2:ust-virtual-server-theme-6.9-1.noarch 4/30 Installing : 2:wbm-virtualmin-mailman-6.2-1.noarch 5/30 virtualmin-mailman Installing : 2:wbm-virtualmin-svn-5.0-1.noarch 6/30 virtualmin-svn Installing : 2:wbm-virtualmin-awstats-4.9-1.noarch 7/30 virtualmin-awstats Installing : 2:wbm-virtualmin-dav-3.5-1.noarch 8/30 virtualmin-dav Installing : 2:wbt-virtual-server-mobile-2.5-1.noarch 9/30 Installing : 2:wbm-virtualmin-init-2.4-1.noarch 10/30 virtualmin-init Installing : 2:wbm-virtualmin-registrar-2.2-1.noarch 11/30 virtualmin-registrar Installing : 2:wbm-ruby-gems-1.4-1.noarch 12/30 ruby-gems Installing : 2:wbm-virtualmin-htpasswd-2.6-1.noarch 13/30 virtualmin-htpasswd Installing : 2:wbt-virtual-server-theme-8.7-1.noarch 14/30 Installing : 2:wbm-php-pear-1.5-1.noarch 15/30 php-pear Installing : 2:wbm-security-updates-4.4-1.noarch 16/30 security-updates Installing : cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.23-13.el6_3.1.x86_64 17/30 Installing : GeoIP-1.4.7-0.1.20090931cvs.el6.x86_64 18/30 Installing : proftpd-1.3.3g-2.el6.x86_64 19/30 Installing : awstats-7.0-1.el6.noarch 20/30 Installing : clamav-db-0.97.6-1.el6.x86_64 21/30 Installing : clamav-0.97.6-1.el6.x86_64 22/30 Installing : clamd-0.97.6-1.el6.x86_64 23/30 Installing : procmail-wrapper-1.0-1.vm.x86_64 24/30 Installing : mod_fcgid-2.3.7-1.el6.x86_64 25/30 Installing : perl-IO-Tty-1.08-4.el6.x86_64 26/30 Installing : scponly-4.8-6.el6.x86_64 27/30 Installing : cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.23-13.el6_3.1.x86_64 28/30 Installing : unzip-6.0-1.el6.x86_64 29/30 Installing : virtualmin-base-1.0-63.rh.noarch 30/30

And there is no more lines. Please give me your verdict: am I ok just to start using this system as Virtualmin interface doesnā€™t show any suspicious messages except this part of above posted message:

Quotas are not enabled on the filesystem /home which contains home directories under /home and email files under /home. Quota editing has been disabled.

Shell /bin/false for FTP users is not included in /etc/shells, which may prevent FTP access.

Or is it screwed up system and it is better to get it re-installed? The problem is that the server is in remote data-center and to get Virtualmin re-installed I have to request OS-reinstallation.