Install sendmail analyzer on Ubuntu

Has anyone installed Sendmail analyzer on Virtualmin system?

I tried doing it but I’m not an expert with servers so I’m not able to do it and would really appreciate if someone could assist me. I followed the installation steps and am stuck on Post install steps. Step 2 says modify your apache configuration to add the mentioned code. I added it to /etc/apache2/apache2.conf above the IncludeOptional directives and restarted apache2.

Step 3 is “If necessary, give additional host access to SendmailAnalyzer.”. I believe I need to give access to one of the servers through with I will be able to access the reports? But I don’t know how exactly they want me to do it, I guess they didn’t mention because it would be different for each installation.

Step 4 is to access yourdomain.com/sareport/. This is not working for me, I tried the server’s FQDN and a few other domains, I get a 403 forbidden error.

I hope its not off topic for Virtualmin.

You should not install anything outside of a VirtualHost in a Virtualmin system. Put any apps into a VirtualHost, and everything will go much easier.

Oh, this is also a CGI script, which introduces further concerns. You didn’t tell us your OS and version, so I can’t provide specific guidance.

Sorry, OS is Ubuntu 20.04. Virtualmin is 7.5

Are you saying I should put that code in one of sites-enabled/*.conf file? Would that limit the script to accessing a specific domain’s mail logs?

I’m trying to have a visual representation of server’s outgoing mails to make sure no server is spamming or sending way too many emails. If you know of a better way to do it, please let me know. Something like awstats, but for postfix.

There is only one mail log.

It didn’t work. I added it to one of the server’s conf file.

You are playing with fire.

Messing with a script that hasn’t been updated in three years is begging for trouble.

Okay I’ll back off of this. Can you suggest an alternative?

It’s probably safe enough as long as you put it behind authentication.

maybe create a testing machine first and test a install. Looks good from the screenshots :slight_smile:

I’m not smart enough to make it work. I tried to follow the instructions they posted but that’s not working exactly and I don’t have the knowledge to deviate on my own. There are no tutorials or articles on the web for using it on Ubuntu which is surprising. Just one article from 10 years ago on CentOS. I was wondering if anyone here used it, I could get some help.

Vipul Bhai,

Albeit the software is not actively developed or updated, I see that the latest version released in 2020 “has support for dockerization”. You should now be able to find many messages in this forum about getting Virtualmin to work with docker. Joe has written lots about it.

The script probably doesn’t need updated much unless something breaks it, like a change in logging. It would be nice in cases like this if the author would change the README once a year to bump the date and say ‘not abandoned’.

If the OP can’t configure this then throwing docker in probably just makes the problem worse. I glazed over half way through the setup of this script.

Did any of you tried it? If it piqued your interest

1 Like

Or better still if Github flagged all the old out of date rubbish it has (there are far too many on there that are no longer supported or simply broken as dependencies get updated.

1 Like

pflogsumm perhaps?
installation : apt install pflogsumm
usage eg : pflogsumm -d yesterday /var/log/mail.log.1 | mail -s "Postfix Report of $(date)" postmaster@domain

1 Like

No graphs but this is pretty good. Thanks a lot

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.