Install scripts don't work correctly

The server is a CentOS 5.1 and with a Virtualmin unlimited pro…

When the install scripts finish installing whatever, the directory is left with a chmod 750 , that will not let any of the new installed programs run. At this point I must chmod 755 folders to get it to run.
Not to bad on a simple script, but the bigger ones, it is a mess.

Can I get the server set so this is the default for install is 755 ?

Thanks
Don Peek

Howdy Don,

Sounds like suexec isn’t working, as 750 is sufficiently open for a suexec script to run. Check to be sure you’re using the fcgid execution type for PHP scripts, and this problem will go away without lowering permissions (it’s also just as fast as mod_php, though maybe a little more memory heavy for large numbers of virtual servers).

If you really do want to go 755 for homes, edit it in the System:Users and Groups module configuration.

I have the default for new servers setup to 755. The problem it is the install scripts when they finish they leave what ever folder they make, (for word press; /home/user/public_html/wordpress) is then set to 750 …

I am using mod_php, I am running a lot of top level virtual servers (600+ on this system) so I have to do some things a little differently.

How can I set all the sites to ‘a’ theme at one time… I looked in a the (dot)acl files but didn’t find a theme= like I was hopping too… :slight_smile:

Thanks
Don

I have the default for new servers setup to 755. The problem it is the install scripts when they finish they leave what ever folder they make, (for word press; /home/user/public_html/wordpress) is then set to 750 ...

That’d be a bug. File an issue in the tracker, and Jamie will get it fixed in the next revision. If you’re set to mod_php execution and without suexec, then Virtualmin ought to install scripts with the correct permissions for that circumstance.

The theme can be set system-wide, and per-user. System-wide, browse to Webmin:Webmin Configuration:Webmin Themes and set your preferred theme. For individual users–e.g. to override each users individual choices, you’d just remove the “theme_username=” and “preroot_username=” lines from miniserv.conf in /etc/webmin. (I don’t think there is a way to do this in the UI, though you could disable all themes except the one you want to use, and folks would then probably get the default you’ve selected…I think).

Hello!!

Mr. Cameron just helped me solve this question for a similar FreeBSD issue…

our current thread is in bugs, but maybe we should bring it back here…
http://www.virtualmin.com/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=3571