Install on Ubuntu Server 8.04

I am triying to install vitualmin on Ubuntu Server 8.04. I get the followingf errors:

FATAL - Fatal Error Occurred: Something went wrong during installation: 0
FATAL - Cannot continue installation.
FATAL - Attempting to remove virtualmin repository configuration, so the installation can be
FATAL - re-attempted after any problems have been resolved.
FATAL - Removing temporary directory and files.
FATAL - If you are unsure of what went wrong, you may wish to review the log
FATAL - in /root/virtualmin-install.log
root@lsmdell:/bin#

Regards

What’s the architecture of the system? (i386 or amd64?)

It is a i386 DELL1850

OK, I’ll need to see more of the error, then, as I know installs are (or were two weeks ago, and not much has changed in the repos) working on Ubuntu 8.04 on i386.

Do you need some more information from me?
Let me know.

Yes. More of the errors that resulted from your installation, if you have them handy. I’ll try another test install on Ubuntu, but I don’t expect to see anything different, as it worked two weeks ago when I announced it (there was a problem on amd64 systems, as I forgot to include procmail-wrapper…and so it was always failing on that platform, but that issue never affected i386).

Could you please let me know where and how I can find out the information that you need?

Below is some more information:

INFO - Installing dependencies using command: /usr/bin/apt-get --config-file apt .conf.noninteractive -y --force-yes install postfix postfix-pcre webmin usermin ruby libapache2-mod-ruby libxml-simple-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl unzip zip quota
…in progress, please wait…
…E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

/usr/bin/apt-get --config-file apt.conf.noninteractive -y --force-yes install postfix postfix-pcre webmin usermin ruby libapache2-mod-ruby libxml-simple-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl unzip zip quota failed. Error (if any): 0

Displaying the last 15 lines of /root/virtualmin-install.log to help troubleshoot this problem:
quota is already the newest version.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
webmin
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.2MB of archives.
After this operation, 83.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://software.virtualmin.com virtualmin-hardy/main webmin 1.411 [13.2MB]
Fetched 13.2MB in 22s (581kB/s)
(Reading database … 107272 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking webmin (from …/archives/webmin_1.411_all.deb) …
Port 10000 is already in use
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/webmin_1.411_all.deb (–unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/webmin_1.411_all.deb

FATAL - Fatal Error Occurred: Something went wrong during installation: 0
FATAL - Cannot continue installation.
FATAL - Attempting to remove virtualmin repository configuration, so the installation can be
FATAL - re-attempted after any problems have been resolved.
FATAL - Removing temporary directory and files.
FATAL - If you are unsure of what went wrong, you may wish to review the log
FATAL - in /root/virtualmin-install.log
root@lsmdell:/bin#

You’ve already got Webmin running on your system. You’ll need to at least shut it down (likewise Usermin, if it’s running).

The install script is only expected to run reliably on a freshly installed OS. If you’ve installed Webmin (particularly if you’ve installed it from a tarball, which is never the right choice on a system with a better package type available, like Ubuntu), it can fail.

Note also that running install.sh on a production system is likely to result in downtime…it will likely break stuff (like email). It’s intended to run on a freshly installed and updated OS.

Joe

Thanks for your help. It works. I shut down the webmin and installed it again.

Thanks

I wrote a how-to handbook at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1197883
It covers installing Virtualmin, Webmin & Usermin on Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS.