Incorrect OS detected after update to Ubuntu 22.04

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 22.04
Webmin version 1.984
Virtualmin version 6.17-3
Related packages SUGGESTED

We have a dev server we use for pre deployment testing and today I updated that server from 18.04 to 20.04. After that update the OS was detected correctly.

I then updated the server from 20.04 to 22.04 (development) and after that update the OS version still shows 20.04

Here is my OS version for reference

root@server:/# cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish (development branch)”
NAME=“Ubuntu”
VERSION_ID=“22.04”
VERSION=“22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish)”
VERSION_CODENAME=jammy
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL=“https://www.ubuntu.com/”
SUPPORT_URL=“https://help.ubuntu.com/”
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/”
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL=“Data privacy | Ubuntu”
UBUNTU_CODENAME=jammy
root@server:/#

Supported operating systems are listed on: Virtualmin OS Support – Virtualmin

when will 22.04 support be official? everything seems to work just fine.

Considering the OS isn’t released yet? Why in the name of something holy did you “upgrade” to an unreleased version?

1 Like

@toreskev If you read the original request you will see that this is a development environment designed specifically for prerelease testing. We have many servers in our datacenter to upgrade and we begin this process long before the release of 22.04.

22.04 is available right now as a development release and can be installed using the apt do-release-upgrade -d command

By updating early we are able to not only test the environment but also create feedback for our open source community (like Ubuntu and Virtualmin) so that when its time for the full release of a product there are less issues.

This is how open source development works. We believe in contributing to the communities that we benefit from.

Okey, my apologies, I missed that particular paragraph.
Can’t say I agree with the approach though, but to the each his own I guess.

In every dev environment I’ve dealt with we always started testing on .1 release, never on a beta.

But seeing as Virtualmin is mostly a volunteer project, they still don’t officially support Deb 11 which has been out for 7-8 months now, thinking that they would have support for a beta is rather optimistic :slight_smile:

We don’t try to support unreleased distros. We’re spread too thin to even deal with stable distros, we can’t also commit to supporting moving targets.

1 Like

Detecting the correct operating system is not the same as supporting the OS.

PRs are always welcome.

It is when the OS literally doesn’t exist in the real world. Why would Virtualmin put the ability to identify an OS into it that isn’t even released yet?

It would be a colossal waste of time and resources.

1 Like

@Gomez_Adams this post has been marked already as solved, I think OP understand already what you suggested… If you have an unrelated issue, please start a new topic instead.

@Joe Totally understand. I was not sure if the detected OS was just something pulled from /etc/os-release or not. Good news is that everything seems to be working well so far including basic features, scheduled backups, interacting with the servers like MySQL and Apache. 22.04 should be a pretty easy target to hit once it stops moving.

This will be fixed in upcoming Webmin 1.985 release.

2 Likes

@Ilia Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.