importing users

Is it possible, with vm gpl, to import email users?

I’ve got a csv list of about 40 email users, their aliases, and passwords. Can I dump them into a domain somehow? If not, I’ll just do it by hand, but thought I would check here first.

A second quick question: how do I access spam mail that has been put into ’ ~/mail/spam’?

Thanks, Chris

Well, there isn’t something you can use to import a CSV file.

However, they recently added some command line tools into the GPL version that can modify email accounts and aliases, you can see some info on them here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,virtualmin_cat_mail_and_ftp_users/

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,virtualmin_cat_mail_aliases/

As far as spam goes – it’s normally put into a spam folder, which can be accessed via the Usermin web interface, or from a desktop client using IMAP.
-Eric

Yes, those look like they will work out great, thanks again.

So things in ~/mail/spam would just be under the username ‘spam.domain’? Is that correct? Should be easy to check then. Thank you!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well, I’m trying to figure out what you mean by ~/mail/spam, and if that’s a problem or not :slight_smile:

Virtualmin, by default, puts spam into ~/Maildir/.spam.

Then, for a user to view it, it’s simply available as an IMAP folder. There’s also a (optional) process that runs each night to make sure that spam older than 30 days is deleted.

I’m not sure where the ~/mail/spam you’re mentioning comes in – but if Dovecot (the IMAP server) knows where your email is located (including the spam folder), and understands the mail format, it shouldn’t be a problem :slight_smile:
-Eric

Thank you Eric.

I’m looking at the “Spam and Virus Delivery” page (virtualmin/serverconfiguration/Spam and Virus Delivery).

There are several options, throw away, deliver, put in ~/mail/spam, put in ~/Maildir/.spam/, or write to mail file home directory.

I’m wondering if I can set it up so that spam is not delivered, but is saved in a way that a user can look it up via webmail. And if so, what email address/username would they use to look it up? Like eddy@domain.com, username eddie.domain would use what to look up spam? …or am I totally off track here? There is a lot I don’t know about mail.

Chris

Ok, I think I am going to simplify this and just delete high scoring spams, and allow lower level ones to be tagged and delivered. Looks like an easier option :slight_smile:

Another email question (I’ve hijacked my own thread!), is there a way to add an email address to a blacklist manually? I’ve read about an option that can be enabled to forward an email somewhere to have the system auto-blacklist it, but I don’t really want that. I just need to be able to go in and add it myself.

Howdy,

Another email question (I've hijacked my own thread!), is there a way to add an email address to a blacklist manually

There’s likely a few different ways to do this, but my favorite would probably be to edit /etc/spamassassin/local.cf, and add an entry like:

blacklist_from user@@example.com

And then restart Spamassassin afterwards.

Ok, I think I am going to simplify this and just delete high scoring spams, and allow lower level ones to be tagged and delivered. Looks like an easier option :)

Did you by chance install using the install.sh script?

If so, this shouldn’t be tricky. The spam related options I have set in my Server Configuration -> Spam and Virus Delivery screen are:

[code:1]
Destination for spam emails: Write to standard spam Maildir ~/Maildir/.spam/

Delete spam if score is above: Don’t delete

Automatically delete spam?: Yes, after 30 days
[/code:1]

To determine what account they’d log in with, you can see the accounts listed in “Edit Mail and FTP users”. The account names are listed in the “IMAP/FTP login” field.
-Eric

Thank you Eric, you’all support this forum wonderfully, as a newbie I REALLY appreciate it!

I did install via install.sh, understand, and am implementing :slight_smile: