Import WordPress database using Virtualmin

Post the screenshot of the PHP file as illia asked man

Actually no, this was about database import for PHP open new forum post

Sorry I missed that request. Just read it again but not sure where I place the file or how I then open it.

When I request the site preview this is the link it generates which looks right to me:

https://xorex.rocks:10000/virtual-server/link.cgi/51.75.171.43/http://www.boutiquefrenchwine.com/

[Although the forum editor gives the following message even though xorex.rocks as a website is working

Sorry, we were unable to generate a preview for this web page, because the server ‘xorex.rocks’ could not be found. Instead of a preview, only a link will appear in your post.]

And the file structure for the Wordpress site looks to be properly populated:

So I do not see why the site is not showing other than there are no databases with the content to pull in. So why has the script not generated the databases and why was PHP disabled?

I think this is a PHP related problem.

I built a new virtual server gjjtest.com. It generates a Mariadb database and I can preview it through the Services option.

If I try to install phpmyadmin I get this message:

This script cannot be installed, as no compatible PHP versions were found

This script cannot be installed, as this virtual server does not meet its requirements : PHP version 7.1 or later is required, but this virtual server is using version

So it is not even seeing a PHP version.

When I try to install the Wordpress script I get a similar message:

This script cannot be installed, as no compatible PHP versions were found

This script cannot be installed, as this virtual server does not meet its requirements : PHP version 5.6.20 or later is required, but this virtual server is using version

When I look at the PHP details for the working site there are three versions of PHP installed alongside pear modules. When I look at the test site only the pear modules are listed and PHP is disabled.

So I enabled the PHP option for FCGid and all three version of PHP now show.

I ran the install script for phpmyadmin and it has installed so I can now manage the database through phpmyadmin.

I then ran the Wordpress script. The PHP module pecl-imagick failed agin but it did install. however, once again the Preview Site option just gives a blank page. I tried changing http to https but no change. Even manually entering the path to the Wordpress install did not work:

https://xorex.rocks:10000/virtual-server/link.cgi/51.75.171.43/https://www.gjjtest.com/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php

When I go to the Mariadb database manager, the databases are there but once more there are no tables listed so consequently (I assume) there is no content to pull in.

SO:

1. Why is the PHP option not enabled automatically
  2. Why is the Mariadb database not populating?
  3. Can I populate it manually somehow?
  4. Is my webmin/virtualmin installation broken and how do I repair it without losing my existing data and installations (the most important of which is my OpenVPN server).

The site was migrated by OVH to a larger disk that appears only to be a second disk attached as the server could not access the increased space. In order to keep the server running I had to ssh in and delete all Desktop* files and some backup files. Have some of the Desktop files removal caused the issue or is it something else?

Thanks,

Geoff

@GeoffatMM I do thing that you have no idea what you doing nor understand how it whole works
 (no offence please)

I still dont see any screenshot Illia asked for.

1. Why is the PHP option not enabled automatically? perhaps you set something without knowing it coz php works automatically if installed
  2. Why is the Mariadb database not populating? you doing something wrong
  3. Can I populate it manually somehow? of course
  4. Is my webmin/virtualmin installation broken and how do I repair it without losing my existing data and installations (the most important of which is my OpenVPN server) if its broken, you just backup open vpn configs, nuke, install openvpn server and restore backup files = easiest method

I will create video for you how-to today, possibly afternoon of my time.

Go to the virtual server / edit virtual server / enable features area and take a screen shot. It should look something like this:

Then drop down to the Server Configuration / PHP Options and take a screen shot of it. It should look something like this:

Hi Unborn,

No offence taken, you are on the ball.

Don’t waste time doing a video, your comments explain what I need to do.

However, I think I have managed to get things working properly myself by a bit of trial and error.

The only item I am not sure you understood was about why PHP was not automatically enabled. For the main site it is of course enabled. It is when generating a new virtual server that it does not automatically configure the PHP option. I am having to create a virtual server and then enable PHP before I can install the phpmyadmin script and the Wordpress scripts so they work. I think (I may be wrong) that the default new virtual server should have PHP enabled?

It has taken all morning and a few reboots after trying out things but finally I now have my virtual domain.com and uk.domain.com working with phomyadmin and Wordpress at top level.

The server is still occasionally doing some odd things and if it keeps doing it I will document it for checking. If not I will put it down to clicking the wrong button.

I can now finally get back to the original question of importing the Wordpress site. However I can see a problem and perhaps someone can guide me?

The existing site is still live and working on a Bluehost.com domain. I have exported the site and database and now that the transfer site is up and running on my virtualmin server I can try to import it. however, I have not changed the domain name in the database when I exported it so if it is now imported into this virtual site that is not the live site, I suspect the database will make calls on the real live site and not the temporary transfer site I have installed for testing before moving the live site across. Do I need to export the databases again but change the domain reference when I do it to match the one on my virtualmin server or is there a way to edit the database once it is installed on the temporary site?

Thanks,

Geoff

1 Like

Hi Gomez,

As I explained above I now have that part working and the screens on my system reflect what yours show and the sites are now working as expected, thank you.

G

1 Like

I now have to put this on hold as I sort out the main server that is running out of space. Once resolved I will come back to this topic. Thanks for all the help so far.

Geoff

let us know please :slight_smile:

Well, thanks to OVH, all my data has been lost including my backups. They have been incredibly unhelpful and uncaring despite the loss being their fault. I have finally cancelled my contract with them (except for my domains which remain registered with them at the moment) and moved to a new provider whose support and attitude is significantly better.

Consequently I am rebuilding my main and sub servers on a new installation. I already have some issues and will post these separately. This thread should be considered closed for now. I will open a new thread if necessary when I catch up to where I was.

Geoff

This forum is intended to help Virtualmin users and to that end it fulfils its purpose but I hate to see Virtualmin users running down a good brand in this manner. OVH cannot lose your VPS @GeoffatMM and your backups too! If a major vps hosting service like OVH had catastrophic data loss then it would be in the news. If they did not have a catastrophic data loss then the loss of your vps and your backups is on you, not OVH.

All vps hosts offer value added services at an extra charge for storage and backups. It is up to the users to keep regular backups and multiple copies of backups. If users fail to keep backups and blame service providers then they will keep rebuilding systems from scratch every now and then, depending on their level of competence.

I am not wording this message more strongly in order to comply with forum guidelines. Don’t run down good brands for a fault which if your own, @GeoffatMM.

I am sorry to have upset you but you are wrong. I am sure OVH do have a capture of my data but they refuse to reload it and claim it does not exist.

I followed THEIR suggestion to increase my disk size which they told me they would migrate my site to. They did not. They migrated me to a larger disk but left the existing image on the same sized partition. The partition was filled so my only access was through their kvm terminal which did not work. I had to reboot to rescue mode and ssh in but they then would not help me resolve the problem. They did not respond to questions on the kvm failure or on the impact of reinstalling a migration snapshot. They then REMOVED the snapshot and said it did not exist. At this point I simply gave up.

I understand the forum rules and I do not like being derogatory about companies but I am afraid OVH compared with other suppliers are simply dreadful. Just read sone of the similar stories on the web and you will understand my irritation. This is not a knee jerk reaction but a considered statement after trying to work with them to rescue the situation.

To be fair, one of their DCs literally burned up last year.
The backups that are included in their plans was hosted in the same damn DC.
Just another reminder to keep separate offsite backups with different providers.

1 Like

Then you still have your data. Do a backup of that to your local disc. Then restore it to a full sized partition.

Bar the fire which I know OVH lost many customers due to lost data/backups (hence you see they are offering special discounts every 3 weeks to recoup clients).

Main thing is that basic service is unmanaged and support can be slow. It seems to change from time to time. I have been with them for years.

As @Gomez_Adams pointed out. Data still on the other partition and can be retrieved?.

Fortunately I partitioned the second sector of the disk and copied everything using dd so yes, the next step is to download it to my local disk then upload it to the new server. At 20Gb it will take some time. It may just be quicker to rebuild it.

I can download 20 gigs in about 10 to 15 minutes on a simple cable modem connection. I know for a fact I can’t rebuild it that quickly.

OK, no questions at this stage just an update. Recovered the data but it was corrupted so I could only rescue parts of it. I have rebuilt a new Virtualmin instance on the new server and am finally ready to start a test transfer of one of my domains with its database. Will follow the help above and let you know how I get on.

G

Hi Gomez,

Got this far but when I try to access the test version virtual server the only way to access it is via Virtualmin:Services: Preview Website. This opens the site fine but as soon as I try to access wp-admin to install the plugin I get this message:

Security Warning

Warning! Webmin has detected that the program https://xsxtc.uk:10000/virtual-server/link.cgi/77.68.100.23/https://oldcognacdistillery.eu/wp-admin/ was linked to from an unknown URL, which appears to be outside the Webmin server. This may be an attempt to trick your server into executing a dangerous command.

Make sure your browser is configured to send referrer information so that it can be verified by Webmin.

Alternately, you can configure Webmin to allow links from unknown referers by :

** Login as root, and edit the /etc/webmin/config file.*
** Find the line referers_none=1 and change it to referers_none=0.*
** Save the file.*

WARNING - this has the side effect of opening your system up to reflected XSS attacks and so is not recommended!

So how do I get to the site without breaking the security? Tried Chrome and the result is the same.

The site is already installed and running. But you’ve done something wrong because if I visit the wp-admin it just says “error”.

You don’t restore the website and then install the plugin. I have no idea what you’ve done but you certainly didn’t follow the directions I wrote. At all.