I broke webmin, it's dead

Dont have access to system details, se other posts.

Rite now I broke webmin. And everything hosted in it. :grimacing:

What file in Webmin directory has the network configuration and what is it’s default content?

I can still access the hosting OS (Ubuntu Server 22.03) via Hyper-V Desktop Connection, but the Webmin interface is broken and I can not access it.
I was looking for possibly incorrect network settings of webmin and tested altering a setting the network interface and then it gone away.

As I recall I told it to boot from active interface eth0, the previous setting was disabled. For some reason it did not like that.

So where is that stored?

It was in this interface, in the Tab for Activated at boot.

I am not able to find what can be done, if I can somehow reset the configuration, or edit a file that will undo my flawed setting or if I just have to reinstall, would it overwrite previous installation in database, or keep it?

Maybe check config
https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/developer/cli/check_config/

From where, this is not virtualmin, it is webmin, I have no virtualmin…

I am in the root of the host OS, so maybe I should look at Ubuntu stuff… loading up an iso to see if I can repair from there

Nothing is hosted “in Webmin”. Webmin provides a GUI for your OS and the services on it. It doesn’t host anything, it edits config files (you wouldn’t say “everything hosted in ssh and vi”).

There is no database. Webmin directly edits config files on the system.

That depends. Ubuntu has at least four common network configuration tools. The old Debian style /etc/network/interfaces (and /etc/network/interfaces.d), the new netplan (config files in /etc/netplannetplan actually generates configuration for either of the following two), systemd-networkd, and NetworkManager.

Webmin doesn’t fully support all of them, and I can imagine some pretty easy ways to break it by causing Webmin to save an active configuration that doesn’t reflect the whole process of how a network interface has to come up as a boot configuration (this depends a lot on your environment, but if you’re editing the network configuration you ought to know about your environment!).

Ahhh, thought that was virtualmin screenshot, was dashboard on right.

Yeah, you are right I forgot about that. Never mind, reinstall well in progress…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.