Hybrid between Sub-server and Alias?

Coming over from cPanel, aliases (“parked domains” in cPanel lingo) could share a document root with the main site while having unique e-mail addresses/forwarders. I’ve been running into various issues with cPanel accounts as the migration tool brings them in, but one of the most notable was that the parked domains that had unique e-mail addresses came in as sub-servers.

The issue: the sub servers were automatically given their own document root for the web side of things by the migration tool. When I tried to change it to be the same root as the parent server, it gave me an error. So, I converted them to aliases to achieve what I wanted on the document root, but that eliminated the possibility of unique e-mail addresses for the alias.

Is there a way to split the difference with a shared document root, but independent e-mail configuration?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 12
Webmin version 2.111
Virtualmin version 7.20.1-Pro
Webserver version NGINX 1.18.0/Apache 2.4.52

Already possible.

“Alias with own email”

1 Like

Though also, be careful with multiple domains that have the same content. Google can penalize for that and recommends a redirect to the authoritative host instead of an alias.

1 Like

Thanks! That sounds like what I was looking for. And thanks for the good word on Google, too… Yes, the sites are actually optimized to provide authoritative locations and each domain produces different content, but they all sit atop a CMS that receives the requests and generates the appropriate content based on the parked domain/host/alias.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.