How to view journalctl -xe output from Webmin system logs?

Goodday all,

I was wondering if it would be possible to view the output of “journalctl -xe” from Webmin’s interface for system logs?
I’m using CentOS 7.7 on a weeks old system.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Same here. It would be useful to be able to use Webmin graphical user interface to view and search journalctl. We searched but found no easy & built-in Webmin ways to do this. Anyone else did?

As a temporary workaround, QJournalctl is a Qt-based Graphical User Interface for systemd’s journalctl command.

QJournalctl is able to use SSH to connect to remote hosts and read their logs

1 Like

That’s a good idea and not terribly difficult to implement. I’ll ask @Jamie whether he has time to look into this, and if not, maybe me or Ilia can find time to work on it.

1 Like

Are you looking for a way to view this output at any time, or just when a startup action fails?

I assumed they meant a log browser and search like already exists for text logs. And, I think it’s relatively easy to implement as it’s already got a --lines|-n option and can search by service with --unit|-u and very new versions have --grep|-g for searching fields with regular expressions (but, I guess we’d need to use regular old perl regex, since most distros don’t have that option yet).

I’ll add this to the System Logs module.

1 Like

Thanks Joe and Jamie :slight_smile: At Ubertus we would be happy to contributed testing and documentation for this new feature if needed.

I assumed they meant a log browser and search like already exists for text logs.

Yes we’re referring to a log browser and search like already exists for text logs. As you know the present “System Logs” which is powered by the System Logs module is located at:

1. “Webmin —> System —> System Logs”
  2. Then click on the appropriate “View” button.
  3. The “View Logfile” page open
  4. User are able to search per log. Using various filters.

Are you looking for a way to view this output at any time, or just when a startup action fails?

My vote goes for being able to view log output at any time. Because users would be able to search both startup action fails or anything else to their liking. Using the filters.

Another operating system which use “journalctl” is RedHat version 7 (Maipo) Server

For those not familiar with “journalctl” here are a few frequently use commands to search log files. Using a Terminal/Console. With or without filter.

• journalctl -xe will return the default view to search log without filter

• journalctl -S "3 hour ago" will return logs since 3 hours ago. In other words, with a time filter.

• journalctl --list-boots will list all the boots you can choose from before searching the log

• journalctl -b -0 or journalctl -b -1 will search a specific boot. In this example the number 0 and 1 are the unique id of the boot.

• journalctl -u crond.service will search the log of a specific service

• More commands at https://www.linuxsecrets.com/3653-journalctl-to-view-and-manipulate-systemd-logs or https://archive.ph/2scLB