How to set default "Real Name" for new users

OS type and version: CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Webmin version: 1.981
Virtualmin version: 6.17 Pro

Hi all, hope you are all staying safe.

I guess I am missing something here (yes, I know, it wouldn’t be the first time :slight_smile: ).

Whenever a user is added to a VH the “Real Name” always defaults to “root” which is an issue when the user goes to use webmail (shows "root" <username@domain.com) unless we remember to change the real name when creating the user.

I have dug around and can’t find where the default is set or even leave it blank. Guess I need to visit the opticians again because I can’t find that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
Tim

That’s your browser auto-filling, it doesn’t come from Virtualmin.

But, maybe we can set that field to not allow auto-fill. @Ilia?

It doesn’t really come from the theme. I think the right solution would be is to tweak a browser extension that does auto-fill automatically, and exclude your panel’s URL.

I meant something like this: How to turn off form autocompletion - Web security | MDN

I understood that.

Whenever a user is added to a VH the “Real Name” always defaults to “root” which is an issue when the

Are we talking about virtual-server.name - Edit Users: Create User page, right?
This page -

Are you saying that Real Name is automatically filled upon visiting this page? I just don’t see this happening on my side. What browser are you using? Do you have any browsers extensions on?

Using autocomplete="off" and autocorrect="off" is useful for text type inputs containing, for instance, OTP or passwords (which mustn’t be stored). I am not sure about the real name field.

Thanks guys,

Sorry for tardy reply.

You are correct, it was an auto-fill issue. At some stage I must have entered “root” in the add users page and it autofilled it every time I created a new user. Simply going to the create user page and deleting ther “root” entry in the “Real Name” box (in Firefox, shift-delete when the name is selected) resolved the issue.

What is a bit scary is that this also autofills the root password for every account I set up. That’s not a big issue because the ones I set up did not need a login. Biggest issue will be finding which accounts for security.

Anyway,
Problem solved. Thanks again.

Tim

I did have the thought that using an autogenerated password every time the new user page was opened it would most likely prevent the root password ever being used like that again.

I have searched for the function to autogenerate passwords automatically but can’t find it. For some reason I seem to remember that it was possible to specify the number of characters etc. Maybe I was dreaming!

Any thoughts?

Tim

I have a similar issue when creating new virtual hosts - it’s been bugging me for a while, and I realise it’s browser feature (Chrome in this instance) but if there is a way to prevent auto fill here as well, it would be much appreciated.

This is something that browsers do incorrectly. We can fix that easily and will do for the next Virtualmin release.

I have searched for the function to autogenerate passwords automatically but can’t find it. For some reason I seem to remember that it was possible to specify the number of characters etc. Maybe I was dreaming!

It is still possible on System Settings ⇾ Virtualmin Virtual Servers ⇾ Configuration: Defaults for new domains page and its Length of randomly generated password option.

but if there is a way to prevent auto fill here as well, it would be much appreciated.

Yes, will do on the next Virtualmin release.

Thanks!

Well, in Firefox and I believe it works for all browsers (could be wrong) you can delete the contents of an autofill textbox by clicking once in the box. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select the unwanted data and then press shift and delete. That’s what I did anyway.

Brilliant, that did the job. Needle? Haystack? Nah! just blind.

Thanks Ilia.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.