How to return to default settings? (On Webmin and Usermin)

(I’m using Webmin 2.013 and Usermin 1.861 on Rocky Linux 9.1)

If I wanted to erase any and all custom settings on Webmin and Usermin, how would I best do this? (In other words, a return to the “factory-set defaults”)

I may have missed it, but I couldn’t see an easy way to do this within Webmin or Usermin

I guess that I would need to delete one or files via the command line?

As far as the theme is concerned there is a “Restore Defaults” button on the Theme page I’m not sure there is any “default” specific to Webmin or Usermin. But if you have added eg. virtual server there are options in the menus to “delete”. Is there something you specifically wish to undo?

1 Like

Indeed, I was looking for something like “Restore Defaults” for Webmin or Usermin (as opposed to the Theme per se)

True, one can delete things like a virtual server that has been added

But some modules, e.g. Read Mail, have many settings

What if one simply wanted to have a completely fresh (re)start in configuring Webmin or Usermin?

I think that will mean you will loose everything you might have done correctly. Sounds a bit drastic - I have had to do something similar and have resorted to a complete restart and install from scratch - but of course you will loose everything! :exploding_head: (Ideally - it would be nice to have a unwind option - but that is why we do backups I guess :rofl:

Just to clarify, I was thinking only of the settings of Webmin and Usermin proper

For example, if one creates a database using Webmin, then this involves doing something outside of Webmin proper and the (created) database wouldn’t count as a setting of Webmin proper

But perhaps many of the settings are ultimately like this (so the matter is trickier than I anticipated)

So its back to that backup you took … you did do a backup didn’t you :man_shrugging:t2:

Hey, no worries, :slightly_smiling_face: my question was more theoretical (“what if”) than practical: how could I return to the default settings if I wanted to :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s simply a question that has occurred to me a number of times over the years when using Webmin and Usermin :slightly_smiling_face:

I recommend you use etckeeper, and then you can use git to look at the history of a file to see what changes you’ve made over time…and if you want to roll some of them back, you can do that, too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.