How to resolve the '550 The from address does not match a verified Sender'

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Debian 10
Webmin version 1.983
Virtualmin version 6.17-3
postfix
Sendgrid

Problem

When you try to send an e-mail message, you receive the following SMTP error message:

Failed delivery status
Final recipient b@yahoo.com

Reason for failure 550 The from address does not match a verified Sender
Remote mail server smtp.sendgrid.net
Reporting mail server server2.localhost.net

I have no idea who’s sending to whom or where this error is coming from. You’re going to need to be more explicit about what you’re trying to do and what is happening (i.e. where mail is coming from and where it is going), and you must include the relevant maillog entries. The client does not have enough information to troubleshoot problems, usually.

2B50B61BCF: to=<root@localhost>, relay=smtp.sendgrid.net[54.228.39.88]:587, delay=0.77, delays=0.09/0.02/0.54/0.12, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host smtp.sendgrid.net[54.228.39.88] said: 550 The from address does not match a verified Sender Identity. Mail cannot be sent until this error is resolved. Visit https://sendgrid.com/docs/for-developers/sending-email/sender-identity/ to see the Sender Identity requirements (in reply to end of DATA command))

smtp.sendgrid.net[54.228.39.88] said: 550 The from
address does not match a verified Sender Identity.

mail is being sent from dashboard Webmin/servers/read user mail

I am sending an email to yahoo from my virtual sever info@mydomain.com using SendGrid as SMTP server since I’m on a virtual domain that does not match the mail server

Have you followed the Sendgrid instructions for using them as a relay with postfix?

It looks like you’re not authenticating is what I’m saying.

this might not work, since I want to authenticate all virtual hosts at once, not individually

I don’t understand what that has to do with it.

is there an option to apply the relay SMTP for each individual virtual host?

how do I make it send email from my domainname.com, not localhost

An account on Sendgrid will have to be created for each virtual server that you host on Virtualmin. Sendgrid will expect the individual who is the owner of the domain to agree to their terms and conditions before they activate the service for the virtual server / domain, so your idea to use Sendgrid to send out mail would work only if you are the owner of all the domains that you host on your server. If you are hosting domains for others / your clients, then the idea won’t work.

Even if you carry out the tedious job of actually creating an account on Sendgrid for each virtual server / domain that you host on Virtualmin, you will fall foul of the law by agreeing on behalf of another to their t&c - identity theft.

That’s a different question, but you shouldn’t worry about that. Just give your server a reasonable hostname and let Postfix use it for all outgoing mail. But, that won’t make sendgrid accept your mail. You have to authenticate to sendgrid, no matter what. (And, I think sendgrid wants to know what domains they’ll be sending mail on behalf of when authenticated with your API key.)

Transport maps can be used to choose different relays for each virtual host. But, if you want all of them to go through sendgrid that’s the opposite of what you want.

No it won’t. brody1 is trying to make it that way by asking to setup independent transports for each virtual host, but that’s not necessary or useful.

You just tell sendgrid what domains you’ll be sending mail for, and authenticate with one API key.

I see. Thanks @Joe

Of course, I’m assuming all users are semi-trusted. I wouldn’t want to share a mail key with someone who might send spam, as that’ll get all hosts banned from sendgrid.

It does require SPF and DKIM to be setup correctly for every domain, though. Sendgrid provides the information for doing that on their website when you setup to send for a given domain.

the api key is not for one domain name, you can add multiple domains

but I guess I can’t add a relay server for each individual virtual server ( domain)

If I add the Cname records from SendGrid it works, however, I don’t want to add sendgrid relay server at the root since I have to manually add each account in sendgrid to send mail,

You can, but you should not (unless you need to, for some reason). I’ve already covered that above.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.