How to remove unused packages

I’ve been using virtualmin for quite some time now, but one thing that has always bugged me was the amount of dependent packages it installs during initial setup. Is there a way to remove packages I don’t use (i.e. proftpd, mailman) safely/cleanly without disrupting virtualmin?

I ask since I see in virtualmin-base has a bunch of dependencies listed. When trying to remove one of those dependencies it breaks the dependency and tries to remove the entire virtualmin install. I only use half (if that) of the packages and would love to get rid of the stuff I don’t need.

I can definitely understand how it would be of help to a general install or noob type situation, but I really wish installer wasn’t hard coded to install everything. Ideally there would be an advanced/interactive install method that asks if you want each type of server (http, ftp, svn, pop3 etc etc) installed.

Howdy,

Sorry, you can’t remove them, but you can certainly disable them and prevent the service from running. (in Webmin -> System -> Bootup and Shutdown).

Joe has been working on a feature to handle dependencies differently, in a way that would later allow you to remove things you don’t want. That’s still in development, but it should be out at some point :slight_smile:

-Eric

Ah ok, that’s what I thought. I do disable the services I don’t need, although for some reason on my debian box proftpd starts after a system reboot even if it is disabled. Not too big a problem as I disable it afterwards, but still a little annoying.

I think it would be a very welcome feature. Do keep us up to date. is there a blog/roadmap/tracker etc to follow for updates? I love the product, hope you guys continue doing well.

There’s no formal roadmap on the website here, but you can keep an eye out in the News forum for new releases, as well as in the System Information screen of Virtualmin.

-Eric