How to get email pop/imap informations

Hi there,

I am actually trying (fighting?) to know the requested informations about the email server for using Thunderbird.
I have created several email users in virtualmin, but I cannot find the following informations:

SMTP:

• Server name
  • Port
  • User (the name of the user I guess)
  • authentification method

All POP or IMAP informations about these email accounts.

I am tired to looking for these informations everywhere in Virtualmin, I checked all the menus so much times unsuccessfully…

Please help a poor newbie!

Thanks so much for your help and lights.

Best.

Howdy,

Which distro is it that you’re using?

You should be able to send email using port 25 and plain authentication, and receive email using port 110 for POP or 143 for Dovecot.

However, you can enable SSL on port 465 and 587, and use that for sending email – how difficult that is depends on the distro that you’re using :slight_smile:

-Eric

Hi there,

I am using Virtualmin 3.83 Pro version, on a Ubuntu Linux 8.04.
I’ll try this, thanks Eric. I’ll let you know.

Hi there,

My server is at the adress (IP): 91.XXX.X.XX or ns37XXX.ovh.net

I’ve tried a lot of different stuffs, unsuccessfully:
ns37XXX.ovh.net
pop.ns37XXX.ovh.net
pop3.ns37XXX.ovh.net
pop.91.XXX.X.XX
pop3.ns37XXX.ovh.net.mydomain
pop.ns37XXX.ovh.net.mydomain

And no solution is working for getting the emails in my Windows Live Mail software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Best.

Howdy,

Okay, enabling SSL on Ubuntu should be fairly straight forward… if you edit /etc/postfix/master.cf, uncomment the lines near the top that are related to “smtps” and “submission” (there’d be 3-4 lines for each of those).

After you do that – restart Postfix, and see if you can then connect to port 465 or 587 with SSL to send email.

If that doesn’t completely fix the problems you’re having – let us know what errors you get when sending or receiving email. Thanks!

-Eric