How to create and Extra Admin with FTP and Email access?

Hi I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction regarding FTP\email access\custom shells

I have created a Virtual server foo.com
I have created a sub server test.foo.com
I have created an extra admin (admintest) who I have restricted access to test.foo.com only

I realised that admintest does not automatically get an email and FTP account so I then went to Virtualmin > Edit Users

When I click “Add a user to this server” and go through setting up, under “Other User Permissions” I have 2 options.

Email only and Email and FTP

Under Virtualmin > System Customization> custom shells these are

/dev/null - Email only - Admin ticked, Mailbox Ticked, default not ticked, Access No login
/bin false - Email and FTP - Admin ticked, Mailbox ticked, default ticked, Access FTP only

I am trying to make it so I can create the user (admintest) and they have FTP access for his sub server (restricted to test.foo.com) and an email account admintest@test.foo.com.

The problem is when I create it using the option Email and FTP, they are restricted to the mailbox folder when they log in through FTP?

If I create them as email only, then click “Add a website FTP access user.” to give them ftp access, it rejects the email address i just put in when creating them as email only.

Summary:
How can i create a user that has FTP and email access and is classes as an “Extra Admin” to a subserver? Is there something wrong with my Custom shell setup? I cant seem to find a custom shell option that is FTP and Email under access, only FTP only or SSH and FTP?

Ok I think I am 3/4 there. After playing around with this and trying to figure it all out, i realised I was still thinking too much in CPanel terms :wink:

As I was trying to create a sub-server (test.foo.com) and then an admin\extra users for that subserver, I tried to make it attached to the main domain (in the homes folder of foo.com). As a result I couldnt create a main admin and extra admins as the admin of foo.com was already in that role.

So once I remembered that with Virtualmin I can create a sub server test.foo.com and not have to have it attached to foo.com, I made the virtual server then created the admin user with both email and FTP access then the extra users :slight_smile: So that part of the problem is solved, but it would be great to see the ability to do this with sub servers in future releases.

The problem I have in regards to custom shells is almost gone, but not quite there, so if anyone can assist I would really appreciate it!

1. When I go to create a new user under test.foo.com If i select the option “Add a user to this server”, under other user permissions, the /dev/null - Email user only option and the /bin/false - Email and FTP user option is there in the drop down box.

How can I only have 1 option there? (the email only /dev/null option with no login)

If I go to add a FTP user, then only the Email and FTP option is there, which is great and exactly the way i would like it.

1. When i select the “Add a website FTP access user” , they are restricted to public_html, how can i make a FTP user that has access to the /home/test.foo.com folder? So essentially one folder higher than the public_html folder?

Thanks!

When i select the “Add a website FTP access user” , they are restricted to public_html, how can i make a FTP user that has access to the /home/test.foo.com folder? So essentially one folder higher than the public_html folder?

It sounds like you have an option enabled to restrict users to their home folder – that’s set in Limits and Validation -> FTP Directory Restrictions.

You may want to tweak how those work.

When I go to create a new user under test.foo.com If i select the option “Add a user to this server”, under other user permissions, the /dev/null - Email user only option and the /bin/false - Email and FTP user option is there in the drop down box. How can I only have 1 option there? (the email only /dev/null option with no login)

You would want to make sure that in System Customization -> Custom Shells, that /bin/false isn’t enabled for Mailbox users.

You could make that an Admin only feature.

So in Custom Shells, the only shell available for Mailbox users should be /dev/null.

-Eric

Hi andrey, thanks for the quick response.

The problem I have if i remove the mailbox option for /bin/false is that it doesnt show up when i click “Add a website FTP access user.” only the /bin/false option is available in the drop down box for “other user permissions > Login Permissions”

With the above recommendation, my custom shells is as follows,

/dev/null \ Email User \ Admin? (checked) \ Mailbox? (checked) \ Default? (checked) \ Access (No Login)

/bin/false \ FTP User \ Admin? (checked) \ Mailbox? \ Default? \ Access (FTP Only)

Howdy,

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to remove FTP functions from that one screen, but not the other.

You can either completely remove the ability to add FTP accounts, or you’d have to retain FTP rights in both… sorry! :slight_smile:

-Eric