How to carry out a server-wide change of IP addresses?

Anyone know what the correct steps are to change server-wide IP address?
(Rockylinux 8, with latest webmin/virtualmin versions)

There is an old thread where Eric recommends the following, but Joe suggested I post a new thread as things might have changed/be OS specific. Here’s Eric’s post forreference:

Does that still apply? Does anything else need to be changed? What about postfix/dovefix etc? Is there a specific order in which steps need to be carried out? (I.e should Webmin → Networking → Network Interfaces be the last thing you do otherwise you’ll get locked out of the server?)

VM should detect the new IP and do a update on all virtual servers via the GUI warning. As long as it s can detect the new IP is the issue. Do you use a VPS?

Depends on how the network is configured.

If you originally configured it manually rather than via DHCP or cloud-init, then, yeah, you could probably do what Eric suggested in that thread.

If your host configures the system network automatically, you should let them do it, and just update Virtualmin to use the new IP(s). Virtualmin can also bulk update existing Virtual Servers.

I don’t follow. IPs in Virtualmin virtual servers don’t have an effect on the system network. Changing IP in Virtualmin can’t lock you out (though it might break your websites, if you haven’t brought up an interface on the new IP yet).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.