How is Webmin and Virtualmin supposed to be set up?

Fedora Server 32 (test)
OpenSuse Leaf 15.2 (more test - production candidate)

I am thrilled by Webmin and have used it for several months. With 2FA I can finally use a safe (-er) way to access my servers and administer backups, sites and all things I could possibly think of.

Reading about Virtualmin I also find that interesting, but what I don’t really get is how they work together, which to install first and usage examples…

As I use Webmin right now is primarily as a Docker Host on top of a Linux Host. What can I do instead?

Are you wanting to run websites on your server (optionally with mail accounts, databases, web apps, etc.)? If so, you want Virtualmin (which is a set of Webmin modules and customizations, plus an installer that sets up everything to nicely host websites). If you don’t, you don’t need Virtualmin, just keep using Webmin.

If you’re gonna use Virtualmin, you don’t “install first” either of them. You run the install script on a supported OS (see the download page on our website and read it, it’s very short, and I think very clear). There isn’t a reasonable path for a beginner to use Virtualmin on an unsupported OS, so you’ll need to reconsider your operating system choices, if you do need Virtualmin. Neither Fedora or SuSE are supported, currently (though Ilia is working on Fedora support, it will likely never be recommended for production use…use CentOS if you want a free RPM-based OS for use on servers that we support in our installer).

Websites yes, but only development …

Web apps such as storage applications (Nextcloud comes to mind), combined with file storage and backup services via sftp is in my pipe.

As for the OS I will check CentOS with a LiveCD first, I may have some potential driver issues…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.