How do I run a virtualmin server inside a LAN only?

We can call it solved as far as domain names are concerned, but all this fiddling has now broken something else, other modules won’t work because they can’t resolve the pchelp.saundcom.com domain, one such example is ftp, the error shows:-

proftpd[27879]: 2019-07-29 11:21:07,903 pchelp.saundcom.com proftpd[27899]: warning: unable to determine IP address of ‘pchelp.saundcom.com

The same goes now when I use sudo, it says:- sudo: unable to resolve host pchelp.saundcom.com

Fix one thing and break another, I guess it’s time for a full reformat and reinstall.

A search elsewhere on this forum, someone else said:-

"That’s why ProFTPD is having problems: It cannot determine your external IP and gets no valid FQDN.

It is highly recommended that you get an administrative domain for your server, resolvable independently from your Virtualmin, and give your server a hostname in that domain."

Which leads us back to virtualmin can not and will not run inside a LAN it HAS to have an internet accessible FQDN, which in my opinion means virtualmin is useless for running as an internally private system, there is NO option other than to buy a domain name and use it as the resolvable domain, which defeats the object of having it LAN only.

hi usalabs !

my approach would be this (see diagram please)… It have worked for me for years… its simple but yet easy (dummy) suggestion however it takes most headache away with reverse dns and other things. Edit: this way you can keep each thingy simple and separated for management. Let me know if you would need any help, I am in hope that this would shine some light for you.

imgur.com