How do I run a virtualmin server inside a LAN only?

Change resolutuon order to: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname
Change search domains, to Listed and add saundcom.com to the list.

restart bind, try again?

Well, for some reason I can’t add that line anywhere in the hostname/DNS configuration, there’s only a drop down box showing:-

Hosts File

DNS

NIS

NIS+

LDAP

DB

Multicast DNS

Localhost Name

Could it be, you’re adding/changing this in the wrong module?

It’s suppose to be: Webmin, Networking, Network Configuration, Hostname and DNS Client.

Yep it’s the right module:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3m16fnajc3v39x/Hostname%20and%20DNS.jpg?dl=0

Is there a file to edit manually?

play with the choices?

I’ve tried with every choice there is, it looks like I may have to just reformat the server and reinstall Ubuntu then reinstall virtualmin and just leave everything as default, and if that don’t work, then it’s time to drop virtualmin and look for something else.

It’s starting to look like it’s impossible to actually run virtualmin inside the LAN.

And you restarted BIND each time?

I can test your setup later in the day, when I’m back home, but I’m sure this is solvable.
Not sure if reinstall will solve this for you.

Can you provide a screenshot of BIND page in Webmin where all the zones are seen? because in a previous screenshot you provided… it was test domain, now it’s a different domain in last screenshot?

It’s still the same zone:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gb2n354sbkt187r/Showing%20domain%20name.jpg?dl=0

pchelp.saundcom.com is the server’s host name for which the DNS NS points to.

where’s the zone for saundcom.com?

Virtualmin didn’t create one.

try adding it?

Made no different, an ‘nslookup’ on the workstation showed:-

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: mytesting.com

Address: 185.53.178.6 (not my IP)

And issuing ‘nslookup saundcom.com’ I got:-

Server: UnKnown

Address: 192.168.0.160

*** UnKnown can’t find saundcom.com: Non-existent domain

It seems bind is not resolving domain names to internal IP’s

nslookup on server returns what?

nslookup mytesting.com

Server: 127.0.0.1

Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Name: mytesting.com

nslookup saundcom.com

Server: 127.0.0.1

Address: 127.0.0.1#53

** server can’t find saundcom.com: NXDOMAIN

I just saw something on the bind DNS configuration help, it says:-

For DNS zones created by Virtualmin to be resolvable, the primary nameserver record for each zone must be set to something that can itself be resolved by other systems on the Internet.

Which tells me that it will only work if using an FQDN that other DNS servers can resolve to, such as yahoo.com, msn.com, etc etc, but if using an FQDN that is made up, of course it can’t be found if other DNS servers can’t find it.

I just found out something, if a domain name exists on the internet then if used as a virtual server, the DNS records will find the internet version, but if the domain name is not available then bind resolves to the internal address.

I tested this by first creating 2 virtual networks, en0:0 and en0:1 with IP address of 192.168.0.165 and 192.168.0.170, then I created a new virtual server using an IP address of 192.168.0.165 in the virtual IP box and set the external address the same, then created the new virtual server called anothertest.org, now this is where it gets interesting, I used nslookup on the workstation and got:-

nslookup anothertest.org

Name: anothertest.org

Address: 192.168.0.165

I then did a domain name check on godaddy and found that the domaina another test.org is available, then I created another virtual server using the domain pchelp.com using virtual IP 192.168.0.170 and the same for external IP, then I did an nslookup on the workstation and got:-

nslookup pchelp.com

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: pchelp.com

Address: 107.161.23.28

Then I did a domain name search on godaddy and found it was taken, soo, to summarize, FQDN’s can not be used with virtualmin unless they are available for use.making it impossible to use virtualmin inside a LAN, because it will always look at other DNS servers for resolving domain names, if the external DNS services don’t have a record, then bind will allow it to be used internally.

I also found out any domain name that ends with com, net, org, tv, info, biz, or any of the others that are used on the internet can’t be used in a virtualmin virtual server, the domain name would have be something so silly that it’s not available anywhere on the internet, such as mysillypc.hom, or mystupidpc,gin, then it’ll work.

What if you use pchelp.intranet and test.intranet as domain names? Or similar… ?

Anything other than the common used TLD’s work, it doesn’t matter if 3 or more letters. I even tried overthehill.past and it worked.

Can we call it solved? :-)))

as this is comment 40 :slight_smile: but hey. we gave it a shot :slight_smile: and came to a certain point where it works… :slight_smile: not that i’m taking any credit, but i learned lots also :slight_smile: