How do I migrate my slave DNS server from CentOS 7.9 to Rocky Linux 9.1?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version REQUIRED
Webmin version REQUIRED
Virtualmin version REQUIRED
Related packages SUGGESTED

Subject: How do I migrate my slave DNS server from CentOS 7.9 to Rocky Linux 9.1?

Good day from Singapore,

I have successfully migrated my Virtualmin master server from CentOS 7.9 to AlmaLinux 9.1.

See Successful Migration of Virtualmin Master Server from CentOS 7.9 to AlmaLinux 9.1

However, I still haven’t migrate my slave DNS server.

My slave DNS server is still running CentOS 7.9 and has Webmin installed. Virtualmin is not installed. Since Virtualmin is not installed, there is no Backup and Restore function.

How can I migrate my slave DNS server from CentOS 7.9 to Rocky Linux 9.1 under this circumstance?

Please advise.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Singapore

BIND hasn’t really changed at all. You can generally just copy the BIND config and hosts files (probably in /var/named) over to the new system and restart named.

It’s what I’ve always done, anyway, going from some ancient RHEL version all the way up to current servers probably running 8.

Great! I will try that. Thank you for your reply.

Is it sufficient to copy out /etc/named.conf and all the host files in /var/named/slaves?

There is no need to copy out any other files?

Regards,

Singapore

Oh, if they’re all slaves, don’t even do that.

Just make it a slave to your other server and sync them up. You’d need Webmin on both servers (no Virtualmin needed on the secondary, tertiary, etc.).

I know we have documentation about that…I think in both the Webmin docs and in the Virtualmin docs.

Yep:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/dns/slave-configuration/

And, actually, you can go the other way, too. If you have a slave can make it a master, and have it sync to the new server, then make that one the master and shut down the old slave.

All sorts of options. But, copying the hosts over also works.

Thank you Joe,

I have successfully migrated my slave DNS server (Webmin only) from CentOS 7.9 to Rocky Linux 9.1.

Regards,

Singapore

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.